 Space / 6486
Re: Project X Capital Ship on Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 04:05:49 GMT

  In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney writes:

  >THAT SUCKER'S HUGE!!  I didn't know your ships I saw at your house were
  >prototypes for something bigger.  What's the concept behind it?

Yeah, it's pretty big :), about four feet long and two feet wide, hopefully
to get longer.  At the time you came by the other ship wasn't meant to be a
prototype but I was rather disatisfied with it and ended up tearing it up
not to long after.  I had made a stacking deck system so that you can still
mess around in the various rooms inside although the ship can be assembled
to appear sealed.  As you can see in the main section there is room to stack
in a few decks of a baseplate and-a-half in area.  I basically make the
decks on a bunch of those three color 8x16 plates hooked together.  I plan
to make this ship completely color-cordinated with pretty much only black
and white and maybe a little blue visible on the outside and inner rooms,
along with transparent stuff.

  >What's with the aquazone baseplate in the rear?

Oh, forgot to mention that.  I put four of those raised baseplates in a
crater setup to put the fusion core in the middle of a giant vat of coolant
or something like that.  I plan to put engineering on and around it.

  >Are there any windows on it?

I plan to put some in the upper structure, like the bridge and crew
quarters.  Also those smooth panels on the sloped sides are just stuck
there, they won't be there when it's done.  I'll probably put some windows
along there.  Unfortunatly most of my space windows came from a collection I
bought a few years ago of 70s and 80s era space stuff and most of the
transparent stuff is badly scratched.  Course, like Star Trek's viewscreens,
each room could have virtual "windows" on each wall.

   >I love your use of stepping the bricks to give an angled shape....really
   >geometrical because of the different facets put into it.  What's the hole
   >in the front for?

I started this ship after playing around with a bunch of bricks and making
that cone front.  I tend to do better at making big ships with basic brick
designs instead of 1/3 plates and specialized parts.  The hole will probably
hold some warhead launcher or other weapon, or maybe a deflector dish like
on Federation vessels.

I'll try and upload pictures of the interior designs like sliding doors and
corridors that I've been working on tomorrow.

I look forward to more questions, comments and ideas!

Kevin Rooten
KevlarDax@hotmail.com