 Space / 6260
Re: New ships for Astro Lift
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:58:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Trevor Pruden writes:

In truth, the rest of the ship can be depresurized since the 2 guys and 2
gals (did you notice the genders?) have full pressure suits for when they
take the ship apart in orbit to take the surface anyway.  It's meant to be a
semi-one-time deal of a trip, meaning that this could be a science vessel in
which you land on the surface for 2 years before leaving for a
refit/restock/new destination.  Nice huh?  I kinda like it, and it is one of
the primary goals behind Astro Lift.

Cool.  So - what *is* Astro Lift?  You seem to do some military things, but
the namesake suggests surface-to-orbital transfer vehicles being the focus.
Any insight?

MIT, I presume?  If so, what program?  Comp Eng?  (just taking a stab - most
guys here are IT professionals for some reason).

Everyone thinks I go to MIT, but nope.  (I don't mind em thinking that -
which is like thinking I'm smarter than I really am :D  Nope, I'm at Gordon
College, a small (1500 students) Christian liberal arts school on the north
shore.  Currently a Communications/Film major.

but I will be back in Chicago between the 10-18 of March.  Dunno what
I'm doing then either - but you couldn't be more than a 4-5 hr drive from me.

Aww gee.  :^)  SURE!  That would be a hoot!  I should be around in the
summer - probably the best time for meets since people get time off and the
weather's nice.  I live in Windsor, Canada on the border of Detroit, so I
have to haul all my crap across da border to go to meets.  It is a royal
pain to do this in cold, inclement weather.

US Border Guard with big gun:  "Anything to declare?"
Me:  "uuuhhhh..." (boxes piled in my back seat)
US Border Guard with big gun:  "Puuullll over!"

Oh geez... I'd love to see their reaction when they open the box and see the
LEGO though :D

I've done it before, though, and will do it again.  Took my Mk3 plus my
freighters to a MichLUG meet in Sept/Oct.  I just have to keep it to a
visible minimum in the car.  The problem is for me making to a place like
Ada where you last drove part way to - 3.5 hours at least for me.  Lotsa
space here for a meet, though!  ;^D

How far is your place from Chicago?

As for March, I should be in the area over the weekend of the 10th and
possibly over the weekend of the 18th. (I may be going to vacation over the
end of March).  Maybe we can get a MichLUG meet going over one weekend for
all those who are not going someplace warm!  :^)  We should talk about this
more on the MichLUG section of LUGnet.

Sure.  I dunno if Brandon will be able to make it since he is still in HS
and all, but I could bring some of my collection to build with provided I
get the rest of it portable.

XFUT -> .michlug and the il and mi loc groups

-Tim