 Space / 5049
Re: Dropship Role ( Was: Re: New MOC - Wyvern Dropship)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 04:15:14 GMT

Mark & All,

Transports should have a fighter escort, yes, but they have a different • role
than a dropship, and IMO, a dropship is better off if it can defend • itself.

Consider the quintessential dropship from Aliens:

Ah, one of my favorites. Or the dropship from Starship Troopers.

-It had gobs of weaponry for defense (although no turret) and even a bit • of
offense if necessary. Good multi-role craft.

The one from ST had some as well, although they couldn't do too much with
it. It's hard to fight against Anti-aircraft fire, especially when you are
trying to land crew and equipment.

Consider the role of fighters:

-Fighters are generally very high-maintenance and require all sorts of • extra
support crew, and would require more space on the mother ship.

Well, it depends on numerous items, how the ship was built, etc. Economic
considerations vary, if you are a richer collection of ships or whatever, it
might be worth it. I think a better scenario would be to take out the
hostile forces first, then land the dropships.

-Most fighters are designed for Space/Air superiority and not ground • support
of this kind. Creating a new fighter that can do both Space/Air • superiority
and ground support would be very expensive, more so than just equipping • your
dropships with defense weaponry.

But dropships may not be as manueverable, especially with lots of equipment
and troops. You can send in a fighter for a group of droships so you can
take out hostile ground sites.

-Supplying a fighter for every dropship isn't very efficient. Perhaps one
fighter for every three, to provide air support, and give each dropship a
turret or some means of defense against ground attack. Sending a fighter
along for every little insertion performed by every dropship would be a
horrendous expense of resources.

Yes indeed.

Discuss!

I did! : )