 Space / 40391
  Lunar Ice Harvester

Used for excavation of lunar and asteroid surfaces the Ice Harvester, built by the CAT corporation, is critical to supporting life in space by providing oxygen for breathing and hydrogen for fuel. It chews up the upper layers of crust using the (...) (18 years ago, 28-Jul-06, to lugnet.space, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX) !!

  Re: Lunar Ice Harvester

Please say you will be bringing that to Brickfest. I love all the photos but I really want to see it in action. Brilliant use of the hockey player bodies. Pat Bunn. (18 years ago, 28-Jul-06, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Lunar Ice Harvester

(...) I love it! Looks the part and works too. I really liked how you thought out sections of this model and how the actual device would work in real life. Calum (18 years ago, 28-Jul-06, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Lunar Ice Harvester

Wow!! Tell us you have a video! (18 years ago, 29-Jul-06, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Lunar Ice Harvester

(...) There isn't much to capture on video. I could show the cutter head rotating, the compressor working and the cutter head moving up and down. That's about all there is to it. -Duane (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Lunar Ice Harvester

(...) The modularity was actually necessary because of the size of the MOC. I wanted to be able to access any components should anything go haywire. It also gave me the opportunity to focus soley on that item so that I could pack as many details as (...) (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Lunar Ice Harvester

That thing is awesome! Rarely do I ever see anything on Lugnet that makes me say "wow!" anymore, but your ice cutter did. Great job! Seth (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Lunar Ice Harvester

Still would be sweet to see. Do the treads roll it around as well? Bummer I missed your showing last weekend at cherry creek. Didn't know that they were having such an event. (...) (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Lunar Ice Harvester

(...) The treads do roll. In fact with the whole thing weighing as much as it does, they roll quite well. The key to the whole tread system is the tensioner. It's shown here: (URL) using this part: (URL) -Duane (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Lunar Ice Harvester

(...) This is just way too cool! Kudos for the extra pictures showing some construction details also. What are the two Lego pieces that the front assembly attaches to? (URL) -mark (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Lunar Ice Harvester

(...) It's the hockey player torso: (2 URLs) A better view is this one: (URL) -Duane (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Lunar Ice Harvester

OMG. Well, instead of just drooling like a moron, I should say something. I particularly like you attention to minifig details, like the ladders, guard rails, and non-slip floors. Color me inspired. (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Lunar Ice Harvester

Oh wow, this is so cool! Great details, great functionality, very cool building techniques! Great job Duane! Tons to look at. Thank you. e (18 years ago, 1-Aug-06, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Lunar Ice Harvester

Actually, I do have a suggestion. Most lunar environments, as scientific observation has informed us, are somewhat lacking in breathable oxygen. Since they don't have an atmosphere to speak of. Thus, I recommend helmets and airtanks for your pilots, (...) (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Lunar Ice Harvester

(...) I was wondering how long it would take before someone commented on that :-) My thought was that inside the cabin, the harvester would provide the oxygen. Outside, the operators would need an environmental suit. The photos with the operators (...) (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.space, FTX)