 Space / 40012
Re: Epsilon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:05:53 GMT

In lugnet.space, Brayton Orchard wrote:

Brickshelf Gallery

An armored troop transport concept. Comments and criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Brayton,

I’m mostly a lurker these days (if I was ever more is up to the old timers, I suppose), but feel compelled to comment on your model.

I realy like it.

The (lack of) details really give this model an excellent feel. As others have said, there are some perceived inconsistencies that cry out to me for attention, that ask my Mind’s Eye to step in and resolve them so that the whole of the equation can be found, not just a few (very useful) variables. After looking at the full gallery of images, I have to come to the conclusion that others have - it’s complete as it is regardless of the feeling it conveys.

I will attempt to put into words some of the (positive) oddities that leap out at me:

1.An unusual length to width ratio. It’s like a knife: the bulky engines being the hilt, the body and cockpit the blade. In comparison to many other dropships/troop transports (even my own of years past), it stands out because of the narrow profile from front and sid. Most builders have gone for the more traditional Space Marines style dropship/transports of Starship Troopers or Aliens. The model fits well with your description of (pardon the paraphrase) a ‘Fast and Blast, Clean-up Last’ style of troop delivery. Well done.

2.The colors. The model is rather antiseptic, but your reasoning is perfectly sound; keeping total colors down. Yet, with black and white as the primary colors, this particular model feels stark and bare. It’s like walking down a hospital hallway; it’s functionality with absolutely no unneeded fat. I really like that.

3.The .space vanguard of Greebling has been given a new twist with this model. The greebles are there and yet they’re not. There are many little details but the color scheme hides them until you get in close. It’s almost like camouflage. It reminds me of the large geometric camouflage patterns used on capital ships in World War II only in an abstract sort of way.

4. I think someone else said it already: it has a biomechanical feel. The drop snout, the bulky, yet streamlined engine pod in the back, the almost rib like appearance of the troop craddles. All with a big honking gun up top. It’s like someone strapped a quad laser turret atop a Gila Monster (or an Alien face hugger) and lopped off its legs and tail. Hmm..now that’s a visual, isn’t it? ;-) In a way it almost cries out for those legs and to be made into a walker.

The best compliment I can think of is that I believe H.R. Giger would be pleased if he saw this model. To my mind’s eye, this is something that could coexist in his world(s).

The only disappointment I have is that there aren’t (m)any pictures of the cockpit and its interior. It’d be nice to see that part of the model in a little more detail.

Cheers,

JJ