 Space / 39994
Re: Epsilon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:26:21 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.space, Brayton Orchard wrote:

Brickshelf Gallery

An armored troop transport concept. Comments and criticism would be greatly appreciated.

(disclaimer: this post may or may not be just ramblings with or without any actual point, but I find my fascination with this model incredibly hard to put down in words)

Looking at this model reminds me of how far we’ve come when it comes to exploiting the various possibilities of the LEGO brick. It’s an excellent example of using bricks as just construction elements to form a shape, regardless of the intended purpose of the brick. I thought it was a microfig model at first, before I viewed the last photos in the Brickshelf gallery.

It also showcases many of the recent and, in my opinion, most exciting aspects of “modern” LEGO building - studlessness, angles, and precise use of details. While it is a very clean model, almost devoid of detail to a negative extent in some places, my brain fills in the blanks just perfectly, making it a very unusual experience to view this model.

If I may (completely unqualified, as I am, to make opinions with any weight in matters such as these), I think that the next thing we’ll see more of in the future is the use of “percieved detail” - building in ways which make your brain see things which in reality aren’t there.

Calling this a “concept” model is very fitting, because much like concept cars it showcases many things which feel incredibly fresh and exciting. I am very intrigued by the way it so effectively conveys different messages at the same time (minifig vs. microfig, detailed vs. plain).

However, it somehow doesn’t “click”. The funny thing is, I just can’t put my finger on it. At first, I thought it was the design, something as simple as the model not looking “beefy” enough, but giving it more thought, I concluded it was something else. Something deeper than the model just not fully living up to its premise. (ie, “It’s supposed to be an armored transport, but looks a little too weak and flimsy for that”, which was my first reaction)

I will even venture so far as to say that it may lie in the nature of this building style to always trigger this sense of uncertainty, the sense of something being not quite right.

If this has left you confused, I apologize. Putting all the stuff above aside, I can say this about the model: I like it.

I could add “but something is missing” to the previous sentence, but that is the key to why this post is several paragraphs rather than two lines - I don’t think anything is missing, but I still feel it does.

This model has captured my mind in a way no other model has done before.

Your opinion may, of course, vary.

-- Tobias

When replying by e-mail, remove capital letters and numbers from my e-mail address.