 Space / 3926
Re: Mark's Lego Creations Update!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:12:03 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
From: "James Brown" <galliard@shades-of-night.com>
Very nice use of the SW engine elements in a non-engine way - good surface
detailing in general.  The cockpit looks a bit kludgy, but I suspect you've
done about as good a job as can be done and still have it opening.

Yeah, it's not the most elegant solution, but I had to choose between making
an opening cockpit or making it more accurate, and I just had to get some
"cylons" in there.
Firstly: D'oh! Beaten to the punch! (I only just bought a few chrome divers
helmets for the exact same purpose! And I haven't gathered nearly enough dark
grey plates and wings yet...)

Mark, I wish you'd warn us before you unleash another of your recreations on
us; that way those of us with less ambitious designs can show them first and
worry about being outshone later, rather than trying to have to live up to a
high watermark.

Having said that: I love it, it's great! I wasn't thinking anywhere near that
level of complex detail (since the toy I was basing it off was fairly plain)
and now if I do one, I'll certainly be adding more detail than I would've.
Your ability to add detail that wasn't necessarily there but looks natural
anyway is just great; I'm going to be asking you for suggestions on beefing up
the look of any models I've posted/will post!

I do share Mr. Brown's opinion though, that while the Raider looks fantastic
overall, the cockpit holds it back slightly. Yes, I realize your tradoff (and
I completely agree with the choice; where else would you store your Cylons?).
But did you try a compromise of fitting in only 1 (or 2 offset, like TLG's
official Falcon set) in order to make the cockpit smaller? It wouldn't be
accurate per se, not having 3, but just a thought.

Also, it looks really good scaled next to the Viper, but perhaps you
could've 'cheated' a little and made the rest of the Raider a bit larger (to
scale with the larger cockpit necessitated by the 3 minifigs)? If it helps,
the instructions sheets for the models (and a couple of other sources I've
seen) state that the Viper is approx 9 metres/ 29 feet long, whereas the
Radier is 26 ft long and 36 feet wide. (Does that give you a little extra room
for scaling the Raider up to match the cockpit?)

These are just nitpicks, of course. Great job, I'll bet Bram's proud.

The cockpit would look a bit better if TLC would make some 1x5 and 1x7 dark
gray tiles. ;^)

~Mark
I hear ya. Actually, I would like more odd numbered tiles, period. And
airplane canopies too (a 3 wide canopy would still fit over a minifig's head
and shoulders, and make minifig aircraft not look so SD).

Mark W

p.s. I think tackling an ID-4 alien attacker would let you go detail crazy,
and it's design seems to be inspired by the Raider in the first place. Of
course, minifigs would be a problem, unless you decide to recreate the one
with Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in it ;)