 Space / 38538
38537  |  38539
Subject:
OSS Audrey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 02:51:08 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I finally got around to taking some pictures of a bunch of MOCs sitting on my
shelves.  The first is the OSS Audrey, a mid-size science cruiser serving the
New Omicron Republic (my little Lego universe)

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jpelletier1977/OSS-Audrey/oss-audrey-01.jpg>>

Bricklink folder: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=126107

The details:

-crew of 22, commanded by Captain Hillary Ronson and including 4 Marines
-1 support craft capable of scouting planetary systems
-3 decks;
-heavily armored, but lightly armed (besides the starboard and port low yield
plasma weapons, there is a big ol' retractable gun beneath the bridge which is
mighty powerful, although if its taken out in combat the ship is pretty much
done for)

Deck A (upper):
-transporter room, science bay

Deck B (middle)
-bridge, officer quarters (double bunked), life support, navigation control,
weapons control, sickbay, bathroom, crew quarters, the captain's quarters, and
engineering

Deck C (lower)
-hydroponics, repair shop, mess hall, shuttlebay

Construction notes & personal commentary:

Most of the ship opens up to allow for access to the interior which is something
I find pretty important (and difficult with larger designs).  There is a pretty
nifty double articulated hinge which opens up over the bridge as well.  The
engine nacelles can be jettisoned and are a smaller version of the ones I first
used on the OSS Pastier (link: http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=37961 ) and I
think they work a lot better on this particular ship.

The support craft was designed to fit into the space which gave it severe
limitations design-wise.  Its my least favorite part of the ship, but it works
well enough given the restrictions.

The idea behind the ship was that it was one of the surviving members of a fleet
escaping their home world; hence the acceptance of crowding a crew that size
onto a ship this small.

Comments and constructive criticism ALWAYS welcome.

Jeff Pelletier