 Space / 37074
Re: New Space?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:37:18 GMT

"David Eaton" <deaton@intdata.com> wrote in message
news:I7LFnz.15vC@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.space, Matt Zitron wrote:
Ok so we know that Lego have StarWars now, but will we be getting a new
Space
series soon?

Maybe Blacktron or Space Police III?

I'm guessing Alpha Team, will probably go into Space at some point, but
any
rumblings from the Lego labs?

The thing about the current trends for LEGO is that they tend to "juniorize"
things way too much.  I don't want any theme launching into a Space theme if
it means LEGO are going to sacrifice the all-important variety of pieces for
easily made "juniorized" rubbish.

I would expect to see a new space line in 2008 when the SW license is up.
Probably will be similar to the Knight's Kingdom or Alpha Team lines-- a
team of
good guys with space ships, and a bad guy w/ minions and ships. Seems to
be
Lego's trend as of late.

That might be good.  I would expect, though, to see a base worthy of such a
deviation in magnitude.  I do hope LEGO buck this trend of an inordinately
huge amount of "juniorized" pieces.

And if Legends keep being popular, I'd also expect to see some re-released
space
set in 2008 too... Maybe "classic" space, although It'll be sad to see
classic
space done with the newer motorcycle helmets. Futuron or Blacktron would
be
pretty awesome though! Or Ice Planet. Or M-Tron Or Spyrius. Maybe even
Exploriens. Never much cared for BTII or any of the Space Polices. Or the
later
iterations of space like UFO, Insectoids, RoboForce or Unitron.

WHAT?!?!  You never got to build a Space Police I craft in your hand and
wonder at those lovely large corridor pieces that were just begging to be
rebuilt into a custom MOC?  I had ideas for buildings, but at the time,
could never get cash to do stuff like that.  And I do care for the rest of
the Space Police line, at any rate - after all it was all LEGO, and they did
have a far better piece assortment than current LEGO lines do nowadays.

Assuming that the earliest they can do "space fantasy" lines is 2008 (I
seem to
remember that was the deal when they got the SW license), and it takes a
few
years for them to develp a line, chances are they're just starting the
initial
work on something like that right around now, or maybe this coming year...

If I know LEGO, they'll have something in the works.  As long as it's not a
revamped or extended version of "Life on Mars" sets, or worse, some
"juniorized" theme that barely has pieces worth picking it out of the
bargain bins.  LOM were at the very least good for parts though.  ;-)

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde