 Space / 36826
Re: The RE_wing. A recon version of the E-Wing fighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 12:14:06 GMT

In lugnet.space, brent skadan wrote:

   Well, It wasn’t at all nice of you to tease us so long with pictures on Brickshelf, but I like the result very much: It’s nice to see that you uphold the usual standard in your macrofig models even when trying to walk new paths.

Thanks, it took so long because I am involved in research project at school that is taking more time then I have interest in. Plus I got married so that also required a break from Lego (though I did not mind that one).

Congratulations!!

   My only complaint would be the external girders that holds the wings in place: It must be possible to make something internal. And what about filling the gaps between the front and rear with some 2x4 wings?

The wing supports are actually part of the original E-wing form. I felt that they added both an industrial look. Plus, well they make the wings really strong -- so that when I am playing with it I don’t have to worry about breaking the thing.

Or your vandal cat... I guess the supports are OK then, I just never really have seen an authorized E-wing, only concept art, so what do I know about that...

   As for the 2X4 wings, if I had some I would have used them -- and admittedly quite a few of the more obvious flaws are do to lack of parts (or creativity on my part).

Oh! I was absolutely certain you had the AT-TE-set from the other parts you use... Anyways, hurry out and get some before they run out, they’re not that hard to come by (like the 2x3’s)

    4482 AT-TE™
646 elements, 4 figures, US$70, 2003
LEGO > SYSTEM > Star Wars > Episode II

   when you got the time to continue, I think you shold work a bit more on the rear part, it seems a bit messy, and the engines definitly needs some beefing up, perhaps adding two more higher up.

The engines suck I know, but I was irritated at how the real E-Wing has the engines placed outside of the crafts vertical center of gravity. But having them under the wing could serve to hide their lameness as well as make the rear look less cluttered.

I’m not sure that would be such a good idea: All the lines of the model seems to point downwards from the (barren) top, like a mountain, stuffing the engines down below the wings would only amplify this by making it very bottom-heavy. (like my model 05). That was why I suggested to “move them further up” by adding a few more higher up (or what about extra wings or tailfins). To get some more mass at the top.

But perhaps what I’m really expressing is my unsatisfaction with my own model instead of yours, so if you whish to go with the engines below the wings-idea, I’d just suggest that you move the wings further up so the empty top gets a bit smaller. (= better top/bottom balance)

   Thank you for your comments, as usual they are very helpful,

Well, some of these days I just might get lucky and suggest something useful! BTW. As you’ve seen at my webpage, I’m not the greeble maniac you believed me to be, after what I wrote about the ‘Hopper, but I just envy you the luxury of actually having spaces to stuff it into! My models are usually too crammed, so I hardly get any practice at all!

-NB