 Space / 3662
Re: REALLY large models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 02:52:22 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
   -Consider building unobtrusive supports under the saucer section. Even
smaller 4 x 4 brick columns regularly spaced and attached to strong areas of
the saucer should work well.  Or you could go with more of "dry-dock" look
(think of older ships with curved beams supporting them while being built.
   This look might not be perfect but I think it has many advantages. You
won't need to worry so much about the rear of the ship being so heavy.
Believe me this alone will save you heaps of time. I mean think about what a
typical star trek ship looks like: it has all this mass up front with some
more mass lower but more or less in the middle of the length but then the
nacelles (sp?) at the rear are generally not that bulky at all. I believe
balancing this thing with out supports on the front of the ship would either
be impossible or at the least a nightmare. If this thing is going to be as
large as you say it is it will be around 14 feet or so long. Its gonna be a
monster.
   Jon
--
Starship Bardiel
http://www.geocities.com/legotiel/Bardiel.html

And now that I'm done reading the posts here, I'll weigh in with my
significantly shorter opinions.  I think that there is one thing you have to
keep in mind here and that is that the Star Trek ships are meant to be built
and used in space, where gravity is negligible.  Therefore, for any earthbound
building of them, the "dry dock" idea sounds perfect.  It would be nice to
have one that just stays together solidly but I think that is not an easily
achieved goal (I don't want to say impossible, but maybe).  And if you were
really trying to be unobtrusive you could use clear bricks in the supporting
columns and say it's some sort of repulsor array (or something).  So there's
my thoughts, and glue is bad!

-Nick