 Space / 3657
Re: REALLY large models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 02:23:33 GMT

Wow ! 300 studs long is rather large.  I'm roughly half finished with my
star destoyer which is about 200 studs long.  I've found that if you can
arrange it such that you build an interlocking skeletal structure from 1x6's
and 1x4's (most prevalent "beams" in buckets !) it can be quite strong.  I
built a simple cantelever bridge span of about 4' entirely out of 1x4's that
my trains went back and forth over with no problems !  If you can reinforce
that basic skeleton with technic beams or Znap you'll get even better
results.  Use the bricks in directions of compressive loading and then use
the znap in places where your model will likely be loaded in tension (The
leading edges of the engine pylons and the trailing edge of the connecting
dorsal fro example).  You may have to resort to (Purists close your eyes now
!) non-LEGO(R) techniques to do something that large though.  I'd think that
running fishing line from somewhere low in the engineering hull up through
the dorsal and into the saucer would help situation alot. If you worked in a
pulley system you could use a winch or turnbuckle arrangement to adjust the
tension as required.

U R going to post Pictures Right !? : )