 Space / 35239
Re: MOC: Friendship 2004: Manned ('Figged) Mission to Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:41:13 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jean-Pascal Rignault wrote:

So far I think this is the second entry I see for the retieval contest. This
one is much more realistic than the horse we saw before!

Yes, but unfortunately the contest got cancelled due to lack of support &
interest.  Ah, well.  You've got to admit that the horse was pretty funny,
though.

I like the "upgrade Apollo" feel you put in this MOC. The modular design
seems to be well thought. Great work on the communication dish / antenae!

Thanks, that's what I was going for.  And I felt that a folding comm dish was a
critical requirement, so it got in there fairly early.  I would have liked to
have it more positionable, but the slick folding mechanism was more important.

I was just thinking that Mars has an atmosphere, I would have try to
integrate a shield for the descent into Mars atmosphere.

D'oh!  I totally spaced[1] a reentry shield.  I had toyed with ideas for a
lander that took advantage of the atmosphere, but decided that it was too thin
for a human-soft landing with wings or parachutes.  That got me off the track of
thinking about reentry.

I did toy with the idea of a detachable impact shield for micrometeorites on the
front of the whole mess (the bottom of the lander).  But I never got around to
adding it.  The design I was thinking of would make a passable reentry shield,
though.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com