 Space / 34913
Re: 3rd CMC entry: Hoverbus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:14:08 GMT

The following is posted at the request of Niels Bugge, who is travelling and can’t authorize his posts.

In lugnet.space, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Niels Bugge wrote:
   I see that my folder has recieved some 4-6000 hits (I’m not sure how you count the hits in folders and subfolders),

Since the next folder up the chain has less than 400 views, I think it’s safe to say that subfolder views aren’t added to the count, putting you at over 6200 combined.

   so I was just wondering if there were any comments?

I think I speak for everyone when I scream, “BIGGER PICTURES!!!!!!!” For a MOC that size, those dinky little postcard images just don’t let you see much detail unless you’ve zoomed in on one tiny little portion. I’d go at least 600 pixels wide, if not more.

Year, they might be a little small (although it works fine in 1024x768), I made them in the two standard sizes I use on my webpage, so I could reuse them there later, but unfortunately I’m out of town right now, so I won’t be able to upload any new pictures this week, and with the speed things dissapear in the piles around here, I guess that this thread is long forgotten by then. And using the day or so to re-raytrace the pictures (and ½ hour+ just to upload them) doesn’t seem worth the trouble. But I’ll consider it the next time I’m crazy (or forgetfull) enough to start such a big model (which wont be anytime soon: it took me 150 hours to complete).

I don’t know if it’ll be of any help, but the last pictures of the grand tour are closer looks at rear part and frame at the bottom of the bus (you might have to press “next page” in the folder to get to them). By the way what kind of screen resolution do you use?

As for the MOC itself, the openness of the passenger compartment is really cool, giving everyone a great view of the scenery (such as it is, in a city that vertical). The construction of the engines is an interesting design, but doesn’t look very engine-y.

Thanks, the engines were a design I came up with some time before this MOC, and I thought it were the perfect opportunity to test it. About their engineness, I actually made them like oval (“spacy”) versions of current jet-engines, but perhaps you were wishing for something more greeble-heavy?

   I was thinking the hydrogen tanks would look better with the back ends rounded off like a large ground-mounted propane tank, but now that I think about it, if they’re stored vertically like portable propane tanks, it would make sense to have a protective rim that can be scraped and scuffed without weakening the structure of the tank itself.

Actually the tanks are just the double length of the standard containersize in my personal sci-fi universe, for easier storing, transportation and shipment. (that’s why their capability of being locked together is maintained) Just behind the bus in the cityscapepicture you see an example of one of my cargolifters carrying 4 containers: I just uploaded a 800x600 version of the picture this morning, where you can see it more clearly.

   Overall the design looks like it’d be right at home in Coruscant, without looking like a direct copy of official SW designs.

It’s not (primarily) based on any SW design; my primary inspiration came from the local harbour-tour boats, with very large windows. It was not until a little later that I added the tanks. They were inspired by the three rear engines of some SW-craft (was it a big red one in E2?) since I felt the large passenger cabin needed to be balanced by some (more) tech-stuff.

-NB