 Space / 34844
Re: Murasaki modular corridor system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 00:08:17 GMT

In lugnet.space, Eric Sophie wrote:
Cool deal David, this solution is necc.

I made it as much out of guilt as anything else.  I felt really bad when I
realized how hard it was to work single-connection modules in at my first
MichLUG show, knowing the whole time that my second module was going to be
another single-connection.  I figured it'd help if my modules had an average of
more than two corridors.

Since we never know how everything will line up.

If you have good multi-angle shots of most of the modules well in advance, and
you can get dimensions provided for anything you can't actually see, it should
be possible to come up with a layout plan that doesn't require any changes (I
managed to do it for this past MCCC, though my massive 6-wide monorail missed
the windows on Trevor's housing module by about 1/2 stud).  BTW, on a mostly
unrelated note, I think I probably had one of the most amusing train "crashes"
in MichLUG history*.

Now, if you have a couple last-minute additions, a few no-shows, and/or you
discover that key modules aren't compatible with your monorail/moonway/space
train layout, your entire plan can be thrown to the wind in a matter of seconds.
On-site flexibility can mean the difference between coming up with an
alternative layout that's just as good as your original plan (maybe even
better), and having to make painful sacrifices just to pull off a workable
design.  Pre-show flexibility can also mean the difference between having a
solid plan when you walk through the door, and having to experiment on-site to
get something that works.

*I knew my monorail would have the most clearance issues (6x25 cabs on a 4x20
sled), so after we got the track all set up, I was letting it do a run around
the track, watching it like a hawk to make sure it didn't smack into anything.
Just as it got to the back of Scott's hanger complex, it just {vanished}.  Poof,
and it's gone.  The track was run over the corridor connections, so the inner
run was 5' from the edge of the table.  We were just placing the track over the
corridors and were planning to go back through and place stanchions after we had
all the track in place, and we forgot to put any under that run.  Of course, the
corridors would do well enough to hold them up, but we don't actually pin the
modules together unless it's required to hold something up (my L and T-corridors
were pinned to keep them from falling over on the open sides), but Scott had
decided to use removable corridor sections on his hanger mega-module, and half
of the track was hanging over three of them.  There were solid corridors holding
it up on either side of this gap, but that's about 10' of track between them
with negligable support.  When my beast of a monorail train was dead center in
the track, there was so much flex in the track that it tipped on the corner of
the connecting corridor flanges and dumped my train down on top of the three
removable corridor sections, which didn't stand a chance of holding up the
weight.  Bam.  18-brick drop, counting the thickness of the track.  And since it
was five feet from the edge and in a narrow gap between the modules, I couldn't
even see where it was, so I had to feel around blind and hope I didn't miss any
parts.