 Space / 34074
Re: Paladin mk2 Hardsuit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2004 19:36:45 GMT

In lugnet.space, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Felix Greco wrote:

   Help me out, though. Everyone throws this ‘mk’ stuff around. I realize its some way of saying its the second version, but what does it stand for?

It’s short for “Mark” which is a term that’s been used for at least 150 years in the military (and elsewhere?) to denote advances or upgrades. As to where it originates, I am not sure. Maybe something to do with marking progress?

Definition 7C of Mark gives this (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mark)

Mark A particular mode, brand, size, or quality of a product, especially a weapon or machine.

A quick Google(tm) search for the etymology didn’t find anything though, probably because I wasn’t using good search terms.

I wish I had my references to hand, but here’s what I’m given to understand from my background:

“Mark” refers to the point in progressive development where a system or piece of equipment is “frozen”--sort of like the “high water mark” or the “fifty-yard mark.” You’ll note that “mark” always modifies some other term; this indicates the lineage in which said device or vehicle represents a “mark”--usually the reference also specifies a role or a purpose (“infantry rifle,” “main battle tank,” and so forth), which is why it is so often used for military hardware. Over time it has come to mean “model” more broadly, but the original purpose came from the earliest days of mass-production of military hardware to indicate a specification that was interchangeable with others of its type and had known capabilities. Consider it a point of calibration in a longer timeline.

Interestingly the use of the word “mark” tends to be much more British than US. Japan has long used a term that transliterates into “type” and is not necessarily sequential, and Germany also eliminated the word for “mark” but kept subdivisional manufacturing terms. Perhaps the affinity for “mark” has to do with the way in which military industries developed in the Empire, where patterns had to be kept quite consistent and manufacturing data coordinated quite carefully.

best

LFB