 Space / 34073
Re: Paladin mk2 Hardsuit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2004 18:29:29 GMT

In lugnet.space, Felix Greco wrote:

   Help me out, though. Everyone throws this ‘mk’ stuff around. I realize its some way of saying its the second version, but what does it stand for?

It’s short for “Mark” which is a term that’s been used for at least 150 years in the military (and elsewhere?) to denote advances or upgrades. As to where it originates, I am not sure. Maybe something to do with marking progress?

Definition 7C of Mark gives this (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mark)

Mark A particular mode, brand, size, or quality of a product, especially a weapon or machine.

A quick Google(tm) search for the etymology didn’t find anything though, probably because I wasn’t using good search terms.