 Space / 29764
Re: Colonial Viper MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 03:26:29 GMT

SNIP

   The engines look good as do the wings and tail. Having watched the original BSG series on SciFi over the last few months as I eagerly awaited the new Mini (Which was a great rework of the story), it’s nice to see someone giving a current crack at the Viper.

Thanks, the engines and the angled bits that fill the space between the upper & lower engines were the hardest to get right. Building at this scale was tough since there wasn’t alot of options for details. I am working on larger-scale (~40 studs long) version that hopefully will be more detailed.

I really enjoyed the new mini series too. Did you notice the original viper in the beginning of the “decomissioning ceremony” It was in the lower left hand corner of the screen as the camera zoomed in and down on the podium. I didn’t notice it at first, but it caught my eye when I watched it again on Sunday.

Suggestions: The nose - to scale you’re building - looks like it should probably be about 4-6 studs longer. It might just be the images but the current length makes it look a bit snub-nosed. Otherwise, I like how you approached narrowing the nose.

I see what you are saying about the length. The viper is difficult to get “exactly” right since there is not the same level of consistency in documenting the BSG universe that there is in the Starwars universe. For example, when researching the web, I found this schematic which clearly shows the nose to be a little stubbier than this picture which is supposedly an original studio model, or this screenshot.

Another problem is that the starwars canopy. It is too large for the scale (which is based on the 3 stud-wide engines) I built this model at, which also helps to make the nose look too short. Thats the beauty of lego, its all about compromises. I have a mock up of how I am going rebuild the forward fuselage and am just waiting for some bricklink parts to build it “for real”. When I do, I will probably add 2-3 studs to the overall length and see how that looks. Also by adding some length to the nose, I might be able to try to work some functioning landing gear into the design (but no promises).

I don’t know if your LEGO collection allows, but you might also look at a way to change the top ‘intake’ for the engines.. the 2x2 thin walls you used aren’t bad but look a little blocky. You might try to use something else to give it a more finshed look.

On the upper intake, I would have liked to top the thin walls off with tiles instead of the 2x3 plate like I did on the side intakes but unfortunately there are no n x 3 tiles. I was able to use a 2x2 and a 2x1 tile on the sides but the seam is obscured by the wings. I will have to do some experimenting, but I’m not sure what to use here and still preserve the thin appearence. I could experiment with plate hinges and see how that turns out.

I also have some ideas to rework the cannons to make them look a little more detailed.

On the larger scale version I’m building I have a much better solution for the intakes.

If you can rework these areas some, or at least the nose (as you’ve mentioned you’re going to anyway) you should have a kick-butt Viper all the way around.

Great stuff!

Joel J

Thank you for the feedback. It is much appreciated.

drc