 Space / 29760
Re: Colonial Viper MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 02:16:22 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Douglas R. Clark wrote:
   Thought I would share my rendition of a Colonial Viper MkI (from the original series).

SNIPPED

Douglas - thanks for sharing!

   builders notes: This was really a really fun MOC inspired by the recent BSG mini series. Its construction is actually very similar to my previously posted Insurgent MOC. I’m really happy with how the rear portion of the ship turned out. The engine spacing and detail between the engines seems to be just right. I still need to work on the front portion though. The portion of the fuselage where it steps from 6 studs wide to 4 studs wide needs to be a smoother transition and the inboard cannons need to be deleted. I think in the next rendition, I will try to make the fuselage 5 studs wide that gradually tapers to 3 studs wide. The Starwars pilot was just thrown in the cockpit to test the minifig seating ability.

The engines look good as do the wings and tail. Having watched the original BSG series on SciFi over the last few months as I eagerly awaited the new Mini (Which was a great rework of the story), it’s nice to see someone giving a current crack at the Viper.

Suggestions: The nose - to scale you’re building - looks like it should probably be about 4-6 studs longer. It might just be the images but the current length makes it look a bit snub-nosed. Otherwise, I like how you approached narrowing the nose.

I don’t know if your LEGO collection allows, but you might also look at a way to change the top ‘intake’ for the engines.. the 2x2 thin walls you used aren’t bad but look a little blocky. You might try to use something else to give it a more finshed look.

If you can rework these areas some, or at least the nose (as you’ve mentioned you’re going to anyway) you should have a kick-butt Viper all the way around.

Great stuff!

Joel J