 Space / 28193
Re: Moonbase Monorail: What is the track elevation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:48:34 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tony Hafner wrote:
Jon Palmer wrote:
At last year's NWBC we just used the normal monorail stanchions,
which are 10 high.  We had some track at the bottom and then had
some that was 20 and I think even 30 up.  Let me dig up a NWBC
moonbase folder real quick (gonna add these links to the events
section)

Anyway you should get an idea of the elevations from some of those
pics.  And to my knowledge we went by David Wegmuller's system
exactly at the Con.  I'll get up a mono elevation pic soon.

In lugnet.space, Frank Filz wrote:
Basically. Actually, the track was sort of free form. I just laid it out
where it fit. We also had a slight difficulty in getting through Jon's
module, his track position was off by one stud... Fortunately,
clearances still allowed us to run through.

The track was free-form in that the actual path wasn't planned ahead of time.
But we definitely used David Wegmuller's standard as a starting point.  If you
are going to integrate track into modules, the track lines need to map to those
standards, or at a minimum they need to map to positions that monorail track can
get to using those standards as a starting point.  Monorail track is very rigid
(compared to train track) and it is very difficult to integrate modules that
don't conform.

In lugnet.space, Steven D. Weiser wrote:
I do plan on integrating monorail directly into several modules. I will
use the 10 brick height as a starting reference point. I can then use
the ramps to either raise it or lower it by 10 depending on what it is
going through or around.

Perfect- most of the track at NWBrickCon2002 ran at 20 bricks up.  One stanchion
puts the track running dead into almost every module.  We just stacked two tall
stanchions to get the right height, or we stacked bricks on top of modules that
were in our path.  We had various sections at ground level, 10, 20, and 30.  I
built a ton of 10-high stanchion extenders for this year so that we don't have
to stack the stanchions (I thought that was an unattractive solution).

The new module connector standard leaves enough room to run a monorail
underneath.  It also means that a 10-high track can go under a 20-high
connector.  It sucks to have to retrofit existing modules, but I have to admit
that it makes sense.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com

Our club has been invited to the Motor City ComicCon in October. I had 3 modules
(old standard) almost completed, when I had a catastrophe last weekend. 2 stacks
of storage drawers fell over on to my building table and destroyed everything. I
do not think I will be ready for that show. 2 straight long tracks were broken
in the process along with some other parts.

I am still in the process of cleaning up the mess, and replacing storage drawers
with sturdier models.

Since I am now starting from scratch, I figured now was a good time to use the
new standards for our next show, whenever that is. I think it is a toy and hobby
show in November or December.

Thank you to all who provided information. I will be watching for any more
contributions to this subject.

Steven Weiser