 Space / 2815
Re: Info req on Vintage space helmets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 16:20:58 GMT

In lugnet.space, Clark Stephens writes:
Dear AFOL's,
I have several vintage space helmets (they have straight sides, not curved
like modern helmets). Does anyone know when these were used? (~1977-~1983?)

Also some seem to have the dimples for a visor, but none of my modern visors
work. Does anyone know what a vintage visor looks like, or what the dimples
were used for?

Posted or emailed responses appreciated.
Thanks,
CS

They were used up until the introduction of the
Futuron and Blacktron space sets in 1987, which were the sets that
introduced the modern-style helmets.

They were also used in town and castle sets, as knight's helmets
and motorcycle helmets.

Space figures pre-1987 didn't have any visors at all.  The castle
guys did, way back in 1978.  See
http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/castle/year/1978.html
for a closeup list of the old castle minifigs.

Apparently these were too fragile, as they stopped showing up
in about 1983.  Helmets with removable visors (utilizing the modern
helmet) didn't show back up until 1990.  (See
http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/castle/year/1978.html
for a comparision.)

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"