 Space / 27921
Re: Nailing down the new Moonbase standards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:16:50 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer wrote:
   I’ve been devoting most of my time to another LEGO project, but I’m back online tonight and want to start nailing down the new features.

snip
   What I think needs to be worked out:

Vertical corridors. We need to work out some guidelines for the size and shape of these. Remember that the top of these needs to always end at 10,20,30 bricks etc.. Also we need to discuss strength issues. For instance modules with vertical corridors need to be able to support the weight of more modules on top of them.

Roads: I love the idea of using a simple outline for roads. Like the train track I think the roads should be 8 wide and 4 studs from the side. Personally I love the idea of the trans (something) 1x1 round plates for an outline.

Is it possible for the vertical corridor to be wide enough to support the entire upper module alone? I really think we should avoid mandating flat roofs for stackable modules. The other arguement for a wider center column than the horizontal corridors is space for stairs, ladders, lifts or skyhooks.

The max outer dimensions of a module are 40x40. Could we go with an 8x8 or 10x10 vertical corridor? And to get the second level H corridor at 20 bricks high, the vertical corridor would need to be 19 bricks, 2 plates tall from the baseplate, and the top plate level should be tiled, except for studs in the four corners.

Aaron S