 Space / 27915
Re: Nailing down the new Moonbase standards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:02:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer wrote:
Third:
Mono standard.  What we used for NWBC02 worked like a gem and I'm going to
work with Tony Hafner to get a nice explanation of this up on the web soon.

Is this just 'standard LEGO' height, etc?  Let me know, I'm working on a
monorail moonbase module right now and would like to not have to change it!  Got
to raise those corridors now. :-)

Fourth:
Rail standard.  This one should be really easy.  Lay track down 4 studs from
the edge of a 48x48 baseplate.  3 lengths of straight track covers 48 studs.
A quarter circle of track fits perfectly on a 48x48 baseplate.  Each end is
4 studs from the edge/corner.  Lay all track down on 1 plate height.  In
turns put it on a tile or a turntable where you can.  All trains should be
no taller than 8 or 9 bricks (including the track).  Most of these will
probably be much shorter than this.

This makes sense, though it makes it hard to encose a train inside a moonbase
module without a ugly vertical wall. :-)  There go my airlocks!  But I can't
argue with the geometry of it all.

Why one plate height though?  Is this just to secure curves and points?

Vertical corridors.  We need to work out some guidelines for the size and
shape of these.  Remember that the top of these needs to always end at
10,20,30 bricks etc..
Also we need to discuss strength issues.  For instance modules with vertical
corridors need to be able to support the weight of more modules on top of
them.

I'm not sure I follow here, You've probally already explained.  Are these like
elevator shafts or just more horzontial corridors at a higher heigth?  If these
are truly vertical wouldn't you need ladders or stairs?  The moon is not
weightless.

Roads:  I love the idea of using a simple outline for roads.  Like the train
track I think the roads should be 8 wide and 4 studs from the side.
Personally I love the idea of the trans (something) 1x1 round plates for an
outline.

Agreed, something simple like roads on the tarmac at an airport, just simple
outlines to control the flow of traffic and not get runover by the PCSBus

-Jason