 Space / 27898
27897  |  27899
Subject:
Nailing down the new Moonbase standards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 01:19:48 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I've been devoting most of my time to another LEGO project, but I'm back
online tonight and want to start nailing down the new features.

What I think is settled:

First:
Corridors will not be widened.  Sorry widesters, but an overwhelming number
of people out there think these should stay the same.

Second:
Corridors will be raised 2 bricks starting now.  I personally see no reason
why the NWBC Moonbase can't adhere to this either.  I'll see if Anne can
start updating the page soon with the new info and we can have emergency
lift kits for any modules that haven't been modified.

Third:
Mono standard.  What we used for NWBC02 worked like a gem and I'm going to
work with Tony Hafner to get a nice explanation of this up on the web soon.

Fourth:
Rail standard.  This one should be really easy.  Lay track down 4 studs from
the edge of a 48x48 baseplate.  3 lengths of straight track covers 48 studs.
A quarter circle of track fits perfectly on a 48x48 baseplate.  Each end is
4 studs from the edge/corner.  Lay all track down on 1 plate height.  In
turns put it on a tile or a turntable where you can.  All trains should be
no taller than 8 or 9 bricks (including the track).  Most of these will
probably be much shorter than this.

Fifth:
Raised horizontal corridors.  Like the lowest corridors, these corridors
will be measured at 10 brick intervals. So these should be built with the
bottom of the airlock at 20, 30, 40 bricks, etc..

---

What I think needs to be worked out:

Vertical corridors.  We need to work out some guidelines for the size and
shape of these.  Remember that the top of these needs to always end at
10,20,30 bricks etc..
Also we need to discuss strength issues.  For instance modules with vertical
corridors need to be able to support the weight of more modules on top of
them.

Roads:  I love the idea of using a simple outline for roads.  Like the train
track I think the roads should be 8 wide and 4 studs from the side.
Personally I love the idea of the trans (something) 1x1 round plates for an
outline.

--
[  j o n ]
http://zemi.net