 Space / 27880
Re: Stacking Moonbases
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:55:22 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Aaron Sneary wrote:

Please understand that it is a VERY rough photoshop ‘sketch’ since I only had a few minutes in class to toss it together, but it will express my ideas to visual thinkers ok:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/asneary/Space/MMsupplements/modulelegs.gif

Whoa! How about having a larger standard internal diameter for vertical corridors? That would allow a bit more flexibility on how the corridors transport things vertically. I’d hate to have the standard mandate ladders or “antigravity devices”. I prefer mechanical lifts.

How about an 8x8 lift tube for people, and a 16x16 lift tube for cargo?

I agree with Jordan about just one vertical tube per module - more seems like overkill (but I would use additional non-tube stanchions for supporting upper modules as I think that flat module surfaces touching wouldn’t look any good).

The real problem is where the standard place should be. Central would be neatest, but there’s real benefit from placing a lift bay to the side if a module has a large enclosure.

I’m leaning towards saying that the standard specify a vertical module separation (does it have that already?) and positions for supports, but that they needn’t be tubes - and leave that to modules built specifically for it i.e. To go to an upper module, a minifig would travel to a nearby “lift module”, go upstairs, then horizontally out to the destination module. That way, groups designing a moonbase can plan ahead to make sure they have an adequate number of “lift modules”. Note that a “lift module” needn’t be merely for lifts - it can still have a cool primary purpose e.g. a multi-level space hotel.

If you’re going to get so complex as to build a lift, you might as well be making just a single moonbase that’s very tall. Something like this one: http://lego.bldesign.org/models/?n=91

After considering this some more, I’m thinking that having a vertical connection standard is going to be too complicated. All we really need is a standard height that the next horizontal connection should be at. Then let the builder decide how to connect two or more floors.

That way we don’t have to worry about support columns, number of vertical passageways/tubes/lifts/whatever, where they should be, and so on. Once this other thread figures out how tall to raise the current standard for the first floor, we can determine how tall each additional floor’s connections should be.

Actually, that thread says that they’ve already worked on a vertical corridor standard and are waiting to update their site until they figure out if the current corridors should be raised two bricks.