 Space / 27857
Re: Stacking Moonbases
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 23:07:03 GMT

In lugnet.space, Aaron Sneary wrote:
   Moonbase Module Standard Addendum Proposal

Optionally, Moonbase Modules may be built with four vertical passageways 6 studs wide by 5 bricks long and 15 bricks high (translates into 18 studs tall), passing through the module. These columns should be built studs not up and all four passageways should have studs pointing the same direction. Column centers should be 12 studs in from the edges of the 48x48 baseplate. The ends of these columns should be constructed following the original corridor connection standards.

With 4 vertical corridors built in this fashion, multiple modules could be stacked one upon the other, with the weight of higher modules being transferred directly to the table top, and not through the individual modules.

What do you guys think?

Aaron S

I think a drawing would help people visualize this better.

Seriously, though, it would be easier for modules to connect if you have a single passageway running up and down in the middle of a baseplate. With four individual columns, you’d be requiring that each lower module have four vertical passageways, which is too restrictive. If you can build a module with just one horizontal connection, why must you have four to go vertical?

I understand your reason is to support the weight, but you could instead say that lower modules must have a flat top surface onto which the next module is placed. And all modules that will attach to a lower module must have a flat bottom surface. That would distribute the weight just like columns would.

The only problem I see with my way is if the upper module is smaller than the lower one. Then you’ll have a lot of empty flat roof on the lower module. I guess that kind of thing can be prevented with planning -- if you know how big an upper module is going to be, then you’ll know where you can safely not have a flat roof.

And of course there’s a problem if the upper module is bigger than the lower one. Again, planning.

Maybe the best way would be to have a set of standard options from which to choose. One single center column, four columns in the corners, etc. Then you just have to find a compatible upper module to stick on top. Yeah, I like that way the best.