 Space / 27123
Re: Memphis Class Medium Multipurpose Carrier
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:19:21 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

  • years old? It would have had to have been that far ahead of it’s time to still be in service. Think of how quickly technology changes. 50 years maybe, but not 200.

current rates of technological development are a relatively new phenomena. before the twentieth century, development was MUCH slower. I think there is plenty of evidence to support an idea that technological development slows down sometime in the future. even now scientists are running into ‘glass ceilings’ on what they are able to accomplish in many different fields.

I agree with Lenny on this one. Especially in space, where vessels might take months, years, or decades (maybe centuries) to reach their destinations, it is perfectly reasonable that spaceships might remain in use long after their commission. It is possible that an older ship might have gone through many updates as newer technology allowed, but still the cost and materials needed to build an entirely new ship would lend towards some space farers opting to keep an existing hull and refitting it rather than building a whole new ship.

I did this with my LLG First Promontory. Note the service history.

Anyhoo, I think Dan’s new ship is nifty. It might look more interesting with some other greebling, such as larger micro-scale cannons that use those old 1X2 double laser/handlebar pieces.

My two bricks,

-Galactic Mediator Hendo