 Space / 24770
Re: Are we ever going to drop this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:47:51 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Nathan Wells wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Nathan Wells wrote:
   Look everyone, this needs to stop.

Who are YOU to tell anyone when to stop discussing something? There are a lot of people participating in the discussion, and perhaps as a result, people might learn something. We’ve heard from some people who haven’t posted in a long time. There have been some valuable points made in some recent posts.

I’m not saying the discussion is bad, I’m just getting tired of it an I want to see some MOCs (and before you tell me to go post one myself, I’m working on one right now)

Then perhaps the best approach would be;

“everyone, I’m growing tired of this. Can you please wrap it up, or take it to another group like off-topic.debate?”

That’s a very good idea. I once hosted a topic in the Wild West boards and told them to move out to another board when it drifted off to topics different with the WW. Here’s the Post. Please read the post from the beginning. It’s interesting. And use the layout of that message when a topic goes out of control.

   Coming in and stating authoritatively that it “needs to stop” is a quick way to annoy people. No matter who you are.

Right.

   Her name is Sylvi, and I don’t think she needs you to bump her posts.

I don’t feel I’m bumping her post, I felt her very cool creation needed to be presented again so other people could look at it. I felt it got lost in all the posts.

That would be the definition of bumping the post, if I’m not mistaken.

Yup. I learned to bump only when necessary (e.g. gets overflooded by other posts).

   One of the things younger members must learn is to distinguish discussion from argument.

Define ‘younger”. Is that someone under the age of 20, or a member who joined six mouths ago?

My guess would be a little bit of both. Perhaps, those inexperienced with online discussion. However, I might add that young people seem to be more likely to be intexperienced with rational discussion and mistake it for hostility and argument than older people. Could be just my perspective - and I’m relatively young (21). BTW - I also started posting in the LEGO community at 14, and was viewed as quite annoying to the ‘older’ people for some time, so I do know how it feels.

   Take the lessons you’re learning about online discussion in stride, and keep posting, but more importantly, build. And probably the best bit of advice (albeit unsolicited) I can offer is, always remain teachable.

Yeh. It’s good to learn from others and teach for others.

   -Tim

Cheers (*clink*)

Dean