 Space / 24619
Re: New MOC: The Starflux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 06:42:18 GMT

Here’s a mass reply (I don’t want to flood the newsgroup with eighteen responses).

First off, many thanks to everyone who took the time to respond (I’ll say it now in case I miss one later).
You all make me want to create more Space MOCs...
whether that’s a good this is to be determined ;)

In lugnet.space, Mladen Pejic wrote:
   That is unbelievably creative and skillfully built. Amazing work Bruce, I hope and pray you keep it up. ;-)

I have one more complete MOC and a few partially assembled “ideas,” but I’ll be sure to post when they’re up.
I think I was inspired by the way you separate the colors in your own Space MOCs.

In lugnet.space, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   Wow. That is just incredible. I often find, as you describe on your page, that the best designs come when one is just messing around with some parts. Cool.

That’s how all my Space MOCs have started so far; It seems to be working.

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch wrote:
   Very cool, Bruce. Love the colour scheme, the curved canopy, the dark gray detailing, love it all. I’d love even more to see a modularised version so you can put a couple more mid-segments in. Nice work!

I was considering that; I’ll see what I can come up with.

In lugnet.space, Allister McLaren wrote:
   Cool. All it needs is a large hydrogen scoop out the front and it’d really look like a table lamp. ;)

But seriously, I like it’s hard sci-fi feel, and the round shape has been excecuted realy well. I can’t help thinking that it needs some honkin’ big fuel tanks just above the thrusters though, purely for ‘accuracy’s’ sake, although that might ruin how it looks.

I just rationalize. It’s extremely fuel efficient. :)

In lugnet.space, Jonathan Mizner wrote:
   GREEBLIE!! OVERLOAD!! *brain fries*

Never before has such greeblage been seen! Never before has such an intense amount of detail been put into such a small ship!

Since I’m relatively new to the Space genre (or anything non-Star Wars for that matter) I wanted to really go all out with greeblage. That might be why it took a few nights.

   Hehe, I see you liked the name I suggested. ;) Maybe this will start another trend of building the fastest-looking ships possible....

I loved it. Thanks a lot for suggesting it. Forgot to acklowledge you in my initial post, sorry about that.

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw wrote:
   As said elsewhere Bruce, this is not simply a ship....it’s pure art, baby.

Wow, thanks!

   That rear 3/4 angle...gives me shivers.

Awesome.

I’m planning some wallpapers with this guy, I’ll be sure to keep the rear 3/4 in mind.

In lugnet.space, Philip Painter wrote:
   Beautiful work. The greeblage is done really well. And I like the stripped-down, no-frills design.

Good work.

Cool, I wanted to give it a bare look, kinda ‘anything not needed is not added’-ish.

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin wrote:
   Needs more greebles. ;)

Well done.

Does this mean I can be an admiral, too? ;)

In lugnet.space, Adrian Drake wrote:
   That is really cool. I love the shape of the cockpit and the isolated greebliness.

I gotta give someone else (I forget who) credit on the canopy; we thought up the same idea separately but he released his MOC first.

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun wrote:
   Magnificent. Really magnificent. I especially like that large exhaust port on the back, and the nicely nested machinery in the middle. The balance of dark grey, black, and sand green is exceptional, and that “bullet” forward pod is really gorgeous.

Thank you.

   One question: How is the rigidity? I can’t see what is underneath the midships machinery and fin assembly, so I don’t know what kind of reinforcement you have. In short: IS IT WHOOSHABLE?

It can be held my the black winged area without collapsing, but that’s not prefferable. I hold it there with one hand and underneath the engine cylinder with the other.
It’s basically reinforced by 4x4 round bricks throughout the “spine” of the ship with technic axles running through it.

In lugnet.space, Jeff Szklennik wrote:
   Woah...flowing round-form from angled blocks; spectacular work

SNOT and roundish pieces help much.

In lugnet.space, Paul Hartzog wrote:
   hey, very cool its really great to have a design that doesn’t look like all the rest of us

this is fresh and new and a sweet build

the use of the repetitive elements on the tail is very nice (green stripes and gray grills) and the mass-O-greeblies is really keen and almost biological looking

I guess just working off a SNOT idea helped; I not heavily into science fiction aside from Star Wars, so my range of possible inspiration is limited.

In lugnet.space, Eric Sophie wrote:
   SWOOSHABLE!

1. The front of the ship is really cool! 2. Cool name. 3. Cool Colors. 4. Swooshable. 5. Cool building techniques. 6. Nice level of detail.

Bow down to LOWELL!

Haha! Thanks, Eric. :)

In lugnet.space, Felix Greco wrote:
   Thats some outstanding detail, Bruce. I think what I like the most is the outstanding SNOT work- I showed the model to some people I work with and they couldn’t believe it was made out of LEGO peices.

Excellent model!

I guess it can be a good thing when something can be mistaken for not being LEGO.
What can I say? I love SNOT.

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer wrote:
   Oh yeah... how much better can you get. This is amazing, Bruce. I really love the cockpit and engine... they just seem so un-Legoish. Yet they work so well...

Wow.

Coolness. I was a little apprehensive to use the bigger un-LEGO-ish pieces but I’m glad with the result.

In lugnet.space, Sylvia Tresto wrote:
   Wow! It’s finished! I had been waiting for your signal that the Starflux was ready. Love the cockpit, love the engine and love the greeblies.

Wow, an anticipator. Or would it be anticipatrix? ;)

In lugnet.space, Nathan Wells wrote:
   Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Luv it!

Bruce, that is one freakin’ cool MOC! Everything about it is awesome! Love the shape, love the greebles, love the colors! (I’ve got to buy some more sand green)

Gotta love sand green. The Yoda set’s still gotta be the best for it.

In lugnet.space, Trevor Pruden wrote:
   Bruce,

Very 1960-s space poster concept-y. Like fine wine, nice and smooth.

Only critique: Where’s the space toilet in that thing? ;b

In their space pants? ;) I figure the races are short enough for them to be able to hold it in for a comfortable period of time.

Again, thanks a lot to everyone. I really didn’t expect this much feedback. I’m glad you all liked it.
Here’s a preview of my next Space MOC, which should be up as soon as I get the police helicopter set:

-Bruce

LEGO @ Bruce’s Homepage