 Space / 23311
Re: Request for Ideas/Suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 00:07:48 GMT

In lugnet.space, Matt Krotzer writes:
At the moment I'm just utilizing 10x20x1
bricks, and a few plates to hold them together. I'm thinking the best way to
handle the angled body might be to just build the interior as a straight
box, and build an empty angled wall using some plates on a hinge. Further
suggestions would be welcome. :)

From personal expierence... DON'T rely on plates to hold together the floor.
Because of this big rock we call Earth, all the spaceship's body rests on
the floor (unless you build upside-down) and a large floor only held
together with a bare minimum of plates will sag and crack, making the model
practically impossible to move.

My suggestion would be to make a 'framework' out of technic beams- just a
big 'box' with the roof resting on top, the cockpit attatched to the front,
and all the rest of the walls and floor just attatched using the framework-
making the ship much more ridged and strong.  You might want to invest in a
large amount of technic 1/2 pegs to attatch side panels on to the framework.

As for the engines... I would do them SNOT so that they rest sideways on a
large plate mounted facing out on the framework.  I would use slopes to make
space for the engines and just use hinges to mount the oddly-angled engines.
Then I would make a series of slopes on the top and bottom of the plate so
when it is attatched to the frame, it won't be too boxy.  Hint:  DON'T be
boxy.  Boxyness can kill a MOC.

Hope you found this helpful.  :)

-JHK