 Space / 23243
Re: Request for Ideas/Suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:55:57 GMT

In lugnet.space, Matt Krotzer writes:

wow... that's an amazing compliment. I actually printed that out at work and
have it highlighted and hanging in my cubicle. Thanks!

Inspiration hanging in front of you, 8 hours 5 days/week huh?  If that
doesn't help the process along, nothing will!

I think I understand what you're saying here. My ability in SNOT building is
rather limited, as are the parts generally needed to pull it off... I'll
definitely give it a shot though...

Oh pshaw...SNOT building is just really experimenting with what you have.
Oddly enough, it is often easier on parts that traditional building as you
can cover larger spaces with basic bricks. There are also many ways to
attach the SNOT panels to the frame other than the common technic beam and
stud pegs.  You can use hinges, Classic Space 'L' brackets, 1x1 front stud
bricks, or even just just placed in and secured by a lip of plates at either
side. Give it whurl...have some fun with it.

Right now I'm trying to decide on the
best way to handle the flooring. At the moment I'm just utilizing 10x20x1
bricks, and a few plates to hold them together. I'm thinking the best way to
handle the angled body might be to just build the interior as a straight
box, and build an empty angled wall using some plates on a hinge. Further
suggestions would be welcome. :)

Sounds like a good direction to head in.  Another method for angling
exterior walls is the using magnets to hold plates in place.  The ISD and
several MOC's such as Adrian Drake's Nebuccanezzar use this wonderfully.
It's amazing how secure a couple of them can make a surface.  Very cheap on
Bricklink too.

Thanks Gil! It means a lot to me to have a long-time poster and top-notch
builder take the time to respond to this. I've been a fan of your stuff for
a while now, so you can imagine how excited I was to get a response from
you. Thanks again!

Aww go on.  No, really...go on. ;)  Seriously, thanks for the too kind
compliment.  Being part of this group has taken my building where it never
could have gotten on it's own.  This place really is an education, as well
as being a blast!

Cheers,
-G