 Space / 22359
Re: Moonbase Malldule
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:57:52 GMT

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" <hendo@valyance.com> wrote in message
news:HC9vzu.1tG5@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.space, Markham Carroll writes:
It's the Moonbase Strip-mall!  Complete with a fast-food restraunt (with
drive-thru), video store, garage (with hover-craft), bathroom, defense
system, airlock, and main computer!

Looks nice.  One thing I really like is your choice of such different • colors
for each compartment.  I envision it would look like a cluster of smaller
buildings if in a Moonbase/City of larger more typical modules.  In fact,
several modules done in this style would look good clustered together in a
suburban way to larger ones.  Lunar sprawl.  :)

Actually, each one of those buildings attach to the corridors by a moonbase
connection opening.  At any point I could remove one building and attach
another.  Someone could make a few corridor modules, and then anyone who
doesn't have enough parts to build their own moonbase module, could bring
their Moonbase Module Modules!  Unfortunatly, more standards would have to
be made for them.

As for details, I thought the video store shelves were cool, and the • cooking
area in the fast-food place is neat, although it looks like they need to
reach over that hot griddle to serve people at the drive thru.  Presumably
the window has a semi-permiable force field so the module doesn't
depressurize during passing of food?  ...Hahah!  And the Egyptian art as • the
drive thru menu is great!  I like how the toilet in the restroom looks • like
an industrial hatch.  And, as was said, the main computer is classic!

The window on the side with the sign is the one where you get the food.
There's a sort of an airlock (which is not really clear in the pictures)
behind the window, which is one of those 2x4x5 doors found in the BASIC sets
from the early 90's.  BTW, this module was made before the force-field doors
were created. :p

Most of the details on this was the result of me going through my parts and
realizing what it could be used for.  The A&W sign was the one of the
hardest things to build, though.  I had to pixelate the logo on the computer
to the scale of 1x1 Lego plates, and then find all the pieces to make it.  I
think I used up all my white, black and red 1x1 plates on it. :?

Hope this can be connected to other bases someday soon.

I hope I'm able to get to one of the events someday.  I live roughly 10
hours by car between two of them (I live near Sacramento, CA), but I doubt I
can get a module (and keep it intact) on an airplane, and gas is a bit too
expensive these days. :(
I'll have to look into Amtrak, though.  I hear $12 will get me halfway
across the state now. :)

Cheers,
-Hendo

--