 Space / 2157
Re: Apology for my email by Kieran Brady
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 16:42:30 GMT

The problem with setting it up on OneList is that you'd need multiple lists - I
have no interest in anything but Town, Train, and Technic, I could care less about
others.  If you had one big honking eGroups list, I'd be getting a lot of useless
email.

If Todd were to set up a database for Targeted Emails, it would mean less bulk
emails - a person could go to a page, check the boxes for the themes being offered,
paste text in an entry box, and click Send.  Todd could put a big note at the
bottom stating that if you send to Themes that aren't involved in your mailing, you
will lose mailing priveleges.  He could also only allow Lugnet members to use the
form, greatly reducing the chance of unwanted posts (I don't think limiting it to
Lugnet members is a bad thing - if you can't afford the $10 to become a member, you
are CHEAP, it's well worth it).

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Kieran Brady writes:

I am not a retailer, I am not out to make a quick buck, I just
wanted to help....
God knows, most of us spend more than we should on Lego :-) - if  there's
anything going a bit cheaper than normal, I myself am usually 'up for it',
and I welcome any solicitations through newsgroups or
direct email that concerns good deals on Lego sets that otherwise I might
never have access to buying.
If I don't want to buy, I just trash it (the email)(but keep the sender's
address - who knows what he/she might find for us next month?)

Yet another argument for an "opt in" list.

I'd gladly receive targeted, brief, occasional mail (NOT auction updates
unless i request them, mind you, but announcements of upcoming auctions,
sales, etc) from any responsible LEGO sellers that think their wares might be
of interest to me. I bet there are a lot of people who feel the same way. I
hesitate to suggest posting a list of email addresses on a web page, that's not
secure enough, it's just asking to be harvested by a trolling spambot.

Anyone out there bored and clever enough to write a little doohickey that lets
one register interest to a list of addresses and will forward mail on to that
list after collecting the real address of the forwarder and checking to see
that it is real (perhaps by mailing out a confirmation code that has to be used
when one is ready to mail the real thing) ??

It's not high priority enough to get Todd to do right now I don't suspect, but
eventually it belongs here, I reckon.

Mhmm... I bet using eGroups to set up a mailing list that anyone can mail to,
but that the name of isn't known publicly so it doesn't appear in their public
groups list may well serve almost the same purpose and be less development
effort.

If this (or my first suggestion) was done I suspect someone could add info on
it to the bst homepage and then sellers would be able to use it. If it existed,
at THAT point all the fire and brimstone some people are throwing around is
justifiable. (well it is now, too, really, I guess.)

++Lar