 Space / 20316
  Re: Some great Space info and dicussion

(...) Yeah, I understand his premise, I just don't buy it. :) Even stipulating 1 possibility for a technological culture per say 10,000 stars that's still 50 million sites (half a trillion stars in our galaxy alone) you need to check. Further (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jan-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Some great Space info and dicussion

(...) I agree that the numbers seem staggering. On the other hand, clearly the number of interstellar civilizations is below some threshold. Of course part of the premise is also that the first civilization to make it to interstellar capability (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jan-03, to lugnet.space)

  Drake Equation (was: Re: Some great Space info and dicussion)

(...) A minor tangent, but it's got a pointer to a neat toy. The Drake Equation (1961) is the classic articulation of the potential for technological--and communicative--civilizations. There's a neat toy at www.seti.org, too, that lets you plug in (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Drake Equation (was: Re: Some great Space info and dicussion)

I thought the Drake Equation was: Massive Collection + Endless Aquisition = Tha' Original Freak ;) In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes: (snippage of great stuff) (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Drake Equation (was: Re: Some great Space info and dicussion)

(...) That could actually apply to quite a few of us. *cough cough* ;) best LFB PS: The Takao site's almost ready to go up. (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Drake Equation (was: Re: Some great Space info and dicussion)

(...) You must be joking, right? Intelligence has already done immeasurable things for our species. If you're talking about our capacity for conflict and self-destruction, blame our million-year-old instincts. IMO, intelligence is about the only (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Drake Equation (was: Re: Some great Space info and dicussion)

(...) Depends on how you look at it. Yes, there are some great things to being intelligent at this level. However, LFB said that it is "an evolutionary dead-end". If you think about it, that is somewhat true. We are less likely to evolve from our (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Drake Equation (was: Re: Some great Space info and dicussion)

(...) Redemption is, of course, an ethical concept, not an evolutionary one. Yes, our propensity towards violence is rooted in the competitive nature that very probably *gave* us our intellects to begin with; but that aggressive nature in itself (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jan-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Drake Equation (was: Re: Some great Space info and dicussion)

(...) There's some analogy here about blaming the gun rather than the wielder, but it's a little too late in the night for me to tell whether it changes the argument... (...) So would I! I hope I didn't unintentionally imply otherwise. (...) (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jan-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Drake Equation (was: Re: Some great Space info and dicussion)

Ahhh...to one day be part of that lofty crowd. 'Sigh'. I've gotta earn more money :) -G (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jan-03, to lugnet.space)