 Space / 20150
20149  |  20151
Subject:
A Question of Size
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:30:21 GMT

Inspired by JHK's latest creation :
http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=20102

There was some question about the validity of calling one of his creations a
"heavy fighter."

Recently there was some talk that nailed down the definition of a "SHIP" (~in
excess of 100 studs in any direction).  I think we should also try to nail down
other ships/boats larger than a fighter and smaller than a SHIP.  Here's my
idea:

FIGHTER: can be large with long range and even multiple people, but only has a
cockpit (no living quarters).  Thus making it in need of bases or carriers for
support.

SHUTTLE: one or two person, moderately sized, with living quarters.  Thus able
to have a longer range, but without a crew. Titled thus because I think of it
like a larger version of a Star Trek shuttle. (size: 20-40 studs)

ESCORT: Essentially a sub-SHIP, with a several person crew (~5+). I think of it
as a destroyer escort, which is a smaller ship meant to escort larger SHIPs.
(size: 40-80 studs)

SHIP: 100+ studs in any direction, with large crew and internal space.

--> this is meant to get a discussion going and hopefully come to a consensus,
please feel free to change and adapt my ideas as you see fit.<--

peace
-leovard