 Space / 1969
Re: MOC: Command Module of Starship "Suffren"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:53:10 GMT

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 08:51:14 GMT, Mr L F Braun
<braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:

Hi, everyone-

I have a few very cursory pictures of the forward segment of my
slowly-growing starship, which I have named 'Suffren' in commemoration
of the 18th-century French admiral who actually was able to *win*
battles against the British.  This is the C-3 (Command, Control,
Communications) module of Suffren, along with a segment of two-level
walkway that will connect to the next hull section back (the quarters
and modular bays).

The module itself, sitting on what must be the most hideous strawberry
carpet in Creation, is pictured here:

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/suffren1.jpg

    Oh yeah. Finally we get to see this and I am not dissapointed at
all. I mean that has got to be the best carpet I have ever seen. ; )
    Just kiddin of course. Lindsay your ship is looking excellent. The
shape of the section here and in the head on shot totally captures the
look of the "tall, thin starship". I and others here have brought it
up before but this reminds me of the Sulaco from Aliens. I honestly
think this style is one of the coolest inovations in starship design I
have seen. Theres something about that thin beam shape moving through
space that is really foreboding to me. Anyway so far your ship seems
to have a lot of that look to it.
     Not to mention you nailed the feel of the front of the Event
Horizon. That small viewing slit is perfect. Oh man its all about that
scene where Larry Fishburn's ship is looking for the E H in that storm
and then BAM they almost run into it.

The walkway terminates just outside of the picture.  The ZNAP is the
barest piece of what will be there; it is being used to space several
electronics pods and shield generators/heat sinks.  It will also provide
an exoframe of sorts for the completed ship.  The front windows are in
this picture:

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/suffren5.jpg

    And man you totally beat me to the punch on the Znap usage. I
gotta say it looks good. I was considering using the grey and black
elements (when I buy some) for stuff just like this and now I know it
wouldn't look weird.
This is a very dark picture, but it's supposed to show the bridge
windows at the fore of the module.  It turned out looking very nicely;
the obvious inspiration is the "Event Horizon" (the vertical extensions
at dead front).

    See above. You know I really do like this movie a lot.

Want to see the inside?
http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/suffren6.jpg

This is the upper level, the FTL communications suite.  That monstrosity
hanging from the roof is the data projector that renders communications
holographically, and also provides holographic projections for surveying
and scientific purposes.  The stations there are for the communications
and scientific personnel.

    Oh man your color scheme on the inside is good too. I have to find
enough pieces so that Bardiel's is not red and yellow..Gaaaaa.

  -snip-

   Well I could go on forever. Keep up the good work.

Suggestions, flames, kudos, stories about your dog, and fresh fruit are
all welcome.

Here at the house we have two west highland terriers and a german
shepherd. They all get along good. Well today I looked outside and
Kirby (Westy) and McKenzie (Westy) were slyly digging a hole under the
fence so as to escape. Dutchess (the Shepherd) who is a great deal
larger than the other 2  was actually sitting behind them and looked
as though she was trying to hide their progress from me when I caught
them. I've never seen this sort of thing before.  It was all very odd.

    Jon.

        -Jon.

www.geocities.com/legotiel/Bardiel.html
--Now Netscape friendly!(mostly.)