 Space / 1967
MOC: Command Module of Starship "Suffren"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 08:51:14 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi, everyone-

I have a few very cursory pictures of the forward segment of my
slowly-growing starship, which I have named 'Suffren' in commemoration
of the 18th-century French admiral who actually was able to *win*
battles against the British.  This is the C-3 (Command, Control,
Communications) module of Suffren, along with a segment of two-level
walkway that will connect to the next hull section back (the quarters
and modular bays).

The module itself, sitting on what must be the most hideous strawberry
carpet in Creation, is pictured here:

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/suffren1.jpg

The walkway terminates just outside of the picture.  The ZNAP is the
barest piece of what will be there; it is being used to space several
electronics pods and shield generators/heat sinks.  It will also provide
an exoframe of sorts for the completed ship.  The front windows are in
this picture:

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/suffren5.jpg

This is a very dark picture, but it's supposed to show the bridge
windows at the fore of the module.  It turned out looking very nicely;
the obvious inspiration is the "Event Horizon" (the vertical extensions
at dead front).  Want to see the inside?

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/suffren6.jpg

This is the upper level, the FTL communications suite.  That monstrosity
hanging from the roof is the data projector that renders communications
holographically, and also provides holographic projections for surveying
and scientific purposes.  The stations there are for the communications
and scientific personnel.

The last picture is a front-on view of Suffren's command module.  The
completed ship won't actually have too much more of a silhouette than
this end-on:

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/suffren8.jpg

The big "hole" in the lower centre is reserved for the primary weapon,
either a streaming ion cannon or a fucon (short for Fusion Containment)
gun.  The bay does open, and I have some very bad pictures of that; the
interior pictures of the bridge itself also didn't come out so I will
give it another go this weekend.  I have installed all sorts of
goodies--from the computer stations to a pair of blast doors that can be
opened and closed from outside the ship (modeled on the 7180 design)
that don't work too well at present.

However, all parts of the ship are hand-accessible--the comm stations
are on two 6x16 plates that lift out of the ship along with the
attendant "sides" of the upper hull.  The shape also turned out OK; I
was going for a thin and tall look, because this vessel (a small
destroyer) would be constantly facing its target.  The inverted
steep-slopes seem to work fairly well in producing the negative slope
below the bridge deck.

Note the communications array mounted at centre top; it's a little goofy
looking in its current incarnation, but it will hopefully look more
in-place when the ship's fully complete.  (The perils of backward
compatibility--ugliness!)

Suggestions, flames, kudos, stories about your dog, and fresh fruit are
all welcome.

best

Lindsay