 Space / 19284
Re: Blacktron Spyderpod
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 01:01:43 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
* Don't be afraid to use a flash, if it's indirect.  I find the lighting is a
lot more pure (closer to sunlight) with external stroboscopic flashes than
with any other kind of artificial lighting.  Come to think of it, in fact,
none of the Millennium Falcon images were even processed in Photoshop -- for
these I just took what the camera saved and resized them down to 800x600 with
djpeg, pnmscale, and cjpeg.  But experiment... often a quick "auto levels" in
Photoshop can do wonders.

You can accomplish a lot without a fancy camera in the way of flash by
using an infrared remote flash trigger. I've got a pricey one I bought
for cave photography but I think there are cheaper ones available. You
can also buy a used flash from your local camera store. You may be able
to rig up something to block the camera's flash (though you still need
the slave to be able to see it - my pricey slave will see the bounce
from anywhere in the room, so in theory I could put a big card between
the flash and the subject and not have the subject illuminated by the
primary flash at all [or not directly, and as Todd mentioned, indirect
is good]).

Frank