 Space / 17863
Re: Motorized Tank Pod
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 01:49:57 GMT

In lugnet.space, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.space, David Eaton writes:
So, having been witness to pod-mania, I became curious as to whether or not
I could squeeze a micro motor into a pod, and turn the radar dishes into
wheels:

http://www.suave.net/~dave/motopod.cgi

How well do those loops of slant/hinge bricks stay on? I am wondering if you
could add some stiffness in front by using a longer plate where you now have
a 1x2 (just below the "windows", that is, the 1x2 with horizontal rod parts),
and running that plate to plug vertically into the studs of the plate that is
on top of the bricks holding the central axle shaft...

Actually, the idea behind that one was that the front part kind of "rolls
out" to become an entryway for minifigs... Stays pretty well, though...

because as it is, if I am interpreting things correctly there is nothing
holding those windows in place except the friction of the hinges.

Yup. It's kind of annoying to get all the hinges bent to the right angles,
but once they're in place, they don't move very much.

I've got a couple more ideas I want to play around with on it... the rubber
band idea you mentioned being one... I'll have to play with it... I just
thought it might be a neat inspiration proof-of-concept for anyone out there :)

DaveE