 Space / 17862
Re: Motorized Tank Pod
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 01:27:21 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Eaton writes:
So, having been witness to pod-mania, I became curious as to whether or not
I could squeeze a micro motor into a pod, and turn the radar dishes into wheels:

http://www.suave.net/~dave/motopod.cgi

It's kind of a silly looking model (I threw it together using mostly parts
that hadn't yet been sorted while watching TV tonight), but I thought it was
a nifty little idea :)

Darn. While writing this I just realized I could put in TWO micro motors,
and have each one control 1 wheel. That would be much cooler. But now it's
too late at night. Darn.

How well do those loops of slant/hinge bricks stay on? I am wondering if you
could add some stiffness in front (as seen in the cutaway
http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/motopod/motopod_inside.jpg)

by using a longer plate where you now have a 1x2 (just below the "windows",
that is, the 1x2 with horizontal rod parts), and running that plate to plug
vertically into the studs of the plate that is on top of the bricks holding
the central axle shaft...

because as it is, if I am interpreting things correctly there is nothing
holding those windows in place except the friction of the hinges.

Pretty nifty design though! I wonder if you could put some sort of rubber
band or tread on the tip of the rims of the pod disks to improve their
traction. A square cross section rubber band might, if stretched carefully,
stay in place on the rim of the disk. At least for a few revolutions, enough
to take a movie, at which point it might amusingly snap off and injure a
bystander. (Jar Jar or Timmy or Jack Stone, your choice)