 Space / 1596
Re: Old sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 03:36:52 GMT

In lugnet.space "Nan Zhou" <dimok_ripoblus@yahoo.com> wrote:

I think that the old sets would not be marketable in today's market.  I mean,
the space theme was created to be futuristic, but a lot of old sets like
blacktron just aren't futuristic anymore.  I think that the old sets would
appeal to a lot of old collectors, but as you see the lego market progress
they seem to not target older collectors who have been collecting for a long
time and pay no attention to the age label, but rather to younger kids.

You have a valid point here.  While the older space sets probably
wouldn't do well in the kid market, they would flourish as sets
marketed for collectors.  The concept of space, aliens, spaceships,
etc has changed with our society as technology and sci-fi movies have
changed.  Also - the best explanation for the Jr-ization of Lego sets
I've heard came from a Consumer Affairs rep: she said that kids'
attention spans have been shortened by video and computer games, and
they want something that builds fast without a lot of thought needed.
This is unfortunate for us more serious space afficionados, because we
want stuff that looks realistic (in a futuristic sense) and can be
very detailed.

I do, however, think that there is still a viable market in kids for
themes such as SPII, M:Tron, IP2002, and Exploriens.  I'd probably
shoot down Spyrius and Unitron - though Unitron is pretty Jr-ized and
could do well that way.

That's why mania magazine is so corny and why most of the new sets seem a lot
more farfetched than older ones.

Mania Magazine is also marketed towards 6-12 year olds, so what may be
corny to us as AFOLs is viewed as cool in their eyes.  Remember,
that's also the age of Pokemon, violent video games, and action
cartoons.

Lego has been taking a rather dynamic
approach to new sets especially recently, eliminating the pirate, aquazone,
and space themes, and expanding the new adventurer and underground themes.

Which I think is a very bad move on their part.  I think there will be
a market for space themed Lego sets for decades to come, but like
Aquazone, they can only explore underground for so long.  I think they
should have kept the Aquanauts/'sharks for a few years longer than
they did, and really developed a systme around *them.*  The newer ones
are only useful for spare parts IMO.

Adventurers is too much of an Indiana Jones cop-off, and they keep
beating a dead horse with each new theater they introduce it in.

think we should have many people sign a huge petition and send it to lego,
showing the support they would have if they re-released the old sets.

Though well-intentioned, I don't think that will go very far -
*unless* its strategically sent to Brad Justus at Lego Direct.  He
might walk that one through if its significant enough, and we could
see something in a good 4-5 years.  But still, that's a very slim
chance.

The
demand for even semi-old sets like blacktron II is so huge that someone is
selling a grid trekkor on ebay for $10!

Well - if I had $$ to spare I'd outbid anyone on that.  That's the
only BTII catalog set I need to be complete.  But I do need the
mulit-pack sets....grrr...

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org