 Space / 1595
Re: Old sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 02:46:58 GMT

I think that the old sets would not be marketable in today's market.  I mean,
the space theme was created to be futuristic, but a lot of old sets like
blacktron just aren't futuristic anymore.  I think that the old sets would
appeal to a lot of old collectors, but as you see the lego market progress
they seem to not target older collectors who have been collecting for a long
time and pay no attention to the age label, but rather to younger kids.
That's why mania magazine is so corny and why most of the new sets seem a lot
more farfetched than older ones.  Lego has been taking a rather dynamic
approach to new sets especially recently, eliminating the pirate, aquazone,
and space themes, and expanding the new adventurer and underground themes.  I
think we should have many people sign a huge petition and send it to lego,
showing the support they would have if they re-released the old sets.  The
demand for even semi-old sets like blacktron II is so huge that someone is
selling a grid trekkor on ebay for $10!

In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.space "Nan Zhou" <dimok_ripoblus@yahoo.com> wrote:

I think that TLG still has dozens of those old lego sets in their
inventories.  I mean, with all the ones they produced they have to have some
in their inventory, right?

Sanjay D'Souza commented that he saw a lot of old sets stocked on
shelves at the Lego New Zealand headquarters before it closed down
last year.  None of these were for sale, of course.

I remember when I was at Enfield poking around, I looked in a building
and saw old sets (namely M:Tron Multi-Core) sitting nicely on a
bookshelf.  I'm sure they have old sets built for display/employee
play time as well.

There have to be tremendous cool perks to working for TLG, especially
if you're in love with the way it used to be.

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne