 Space / 1471
Re: Hangar 33
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 23:55:50 GMT

In lugnet.space, Bram Lambrecht writes:
In lugnet.space, Tom McDonald writes:
But despite that, I decided that 6 hours was too long

That is a pain--but then again, that's what nights are for! :)

Hehe, my wife was very understanding about this (but I ain't pushing my luck)
as the computer is in our bedroom.

So after making sure my location and camera coordinates were in nearly
identical positions[2] in both POV files,

Couldn't you get the exact same position by just copying and pasting the • camera
and light sources?

Yes I did that, thinking the same as you, but for some reason, they were still
off just a little bit. I don't know why. It was noticeable in a few places
along where the floor met the wall.

I believe the light sources remained the same, or were close enough for jazz.

I rendered different parts of the scene in two separate
passes: one with the hangar walls and but no ships, and the other without
walls but with the ships, and both renders have the landing plates. The time
savings was incredible, rendering both pictures in a total of less than an
hour. I then called upon the lovely and attractive Photoshop to merge the • two,
and it came out exactly as I had pictured it.

Good idea...except if shadows and reflections of the objects are involved-- • but,
that wasn't the case...

Heh, actually if you can see it, look at either wall, and you'll see a slight
reflection of an empty black rectangle, which is the opposite wall (that isn't
there[1]), in which no spaceships or minifigs are reflected either (but should
be IRL). Maybe I could solve that with more Photoshopping.. nah.. too lazy
right now.

Well done!

Thanks! It'll continue to be upgraded as I'm adding a ceiling, couple of
cranes, observation and control booths, main doors, more floor equipment,
elevators, etc.

-Tom McD.
when replying, spamcake was considered a delicacy in ancient Atlantis
during "the later years".

[1] neither opposite wall is there cuz I didn't need it taking 12 hours to
render :-P