 Space / 1462
1461  |  1463
Subject:
Hangar 33
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 05:52:06 GMT

I've finally POVrayed the hangar I've been working on. I added some light
sources originally to red and white hovertruck, and to the door arches, and
then fired it up at 7pm. At least 6 hours later (I'm not exactly sure how long
cuz I forgot to check) it finished and the pic was really too dark, because I
thought the 3 default lights would show up with -l. I should have read Lars'
postings more carefully.

But despite that, I decided that 6 hours was too long (I'm not exactly
rendering an entire Datsville in one pass y'know...)[1]. So after making sure
my location and camera coordinates were in nearly identical positions[2] in
both POV files, I rendered different parts of the scene in two separate
passes: one with the hangar walls and but no ships, and the other without
walls but with the ships, and both renders have the landing plates. The time
savings was incredible, rendering both pictures in a total of less than an
hour. I then called upon the lovely and attractive Photoshop to merge the two,
and it came out exactly as I had pictured it.

The hangar itself is three levels tall (each level is either 14 or 15 bricks
in height), and occupies an area of 96 studs square (3x3 32x32 landing
plates). It is part of a larger ground base, the design of which is still
classified.

http://www.baylug.org/titan/pw/hang33j.jpg

More pics are coming in the future as new ships and work crews are added.

-Tom McD.

[1] Rendering on a P2-350 with 64MB RAM
[2] As close as I could get them