 Space / 14602
Re: Mark's Lego Creations Update 6/01/02
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 00:24:31 GMT

In article <Gx1qDC.BxE@lugnet.com>, "Mr L F Braun"
<braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:

Check out the Neverwhere II in my "What's New" section.

   Mark, it looks fantastic as always--my favorite ship updated!
   However (and don't take this the wrong way), it lacks the very
   real "character" that the original had--I prefer the old version
   to the new one, no matter how cool the cockpits are.

Heh. This morning I was thinking to myself... "I know LFB liked this ship
a lot, but I bet he likes the original better." :^) I knew there would be
many fans of the original ship, so I didn't really expect this version to
be as big a success. I built this one mainly as an extension of the
original design, and to give myself some ideas about how to build other
types of spacecraft using the 1/4 saucers.

The cockpits aren't the only improvements, however. The Neverwhere II is 2
bricks wider, so the interior is much roomier. I also didn't build the 2
lower decks as deep on the original, so the interior space is actually
quite a lot larger on the new one. The moveable 1/4 saucers are more
stable on this model as well, because of different hinge pieces I used in
the construction.

   (I actually bought my four Slave Is with an intent to try this
   "all glass patty-hamburger" _Neverwhere_-inspired design, but
   now I'm definitely going to alter it.  I think the biggest
   problem is that the Slave I canopies don't actually form quarter
   circles--so the curvature just looks a little bit "off" in a
   way that even the angular _Neverwhere I_ cockpit designs weren't.

Yeah, the Slave I canopy doesn't stretch all the way, nor is it a perfect
radius. I'm looking forward to seeing your idea in the brick, however.
Please build it!

   But man, that's still a fine looking ship.  It's still my very
   favorite Sandlinism.  ("You cannot deceive Comrade Sandlin"?)

Haha... Thanks!

--
~Grand Admiral Muffin Head