 Space / 13921
Re: Your Opinion Requested...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 01:14:08 GMT

Well, I've gotten the Jedi Duel and the Tatooine set (Tusken Encounter?),
and I have to say, they're pretty decent in terms of pieces.
Jedi Duel:
2 inverse 1x8 curved slopes in light gray, a 2x8 lt gray piece, 3 lt gray
droid arms, a drk gray/black hinge pair of the old type, a new lightsaber
piece (I wish it came in lt gray...*sigh*),  a pair each of 2x2 lt gray
slopes and inverse slopes, and a small assortment of drk gray modified
plates.  The speeder bike is a bit oddly designed with it's arm pieces,
which make me wonder what the real thing looks like.  The other part of the
set, the rotating arm-thingy, I have no idea of it's function.  At first I
thought perhaps it was a Jedi training device, but upon building it and
seeing the set it's in, I doubt it.  Right now my best guess is that it is
*SPOILER* the machine that removes C-3PO's head and places it on a battle
droid, as I have seen no other thing it could be in all of the currently
released material. *ENDSPOILER*
Tusken Encounter:
2 black muskets, a number of tan pieces, including tan antannae, tan 2x2
round pieces, and a few bricks, 4 drk gray old-style grabber-hand-graspers,
a 4x4 lt gray hinged plate, 2 2x1 tilt hinge bricks, a lt gray horse-reins
piece, 4 1x1 lt gray bricks-with-stud-on-side (yay!!!), a small number of
1x1 rounded drk gray platelets, 2 pairs of drk red 2x4 angled wing-plates,
and most importantly (regardless of the valuable BWSOS), a 2x2 brown printed
plate with a water-storage system pattern, absolutely perfect for use on
board spaceships as part of the life-support system, or even in a hospital
as an IV system or something similar.  And don't forget the two Tusken
Raider heads-I can envision them being used in a variety of aliens in the
future.  Overall, the speeder bike is rather well constructed and designed
(thanks Doug!), and it will be hard to improve on.  The vaperator is a bit
odd, as it contains a hinge piece truly unnecessary to it's function, as
does the Jedi Duel (training device?) device.  One must wonder if perhaps a
set designer somewhere didn't decide to be a benevolent set designer, and
include a few unnecessary but quite useful pieces specifically for the
bulk-buying market...

Past the ones I have, onto the ones I have only seen in package.

Slave 1:  Looks to have a useful canopy piece, as well as a number of
hinges, probably a fair amount of gray plates, some good specialty pieces
(REEETUUURRNNN OF THE 1x1 LIGHT GRAY FINNED ROCKET MOTOR!!!), and a few
other useful things.  The price is a bit high, but my big disappointment is
that the design of the E2 Slave 1 seems to quite significantly different
from the Expanded Universe books and novels, and even the original
Incredible Cross Sections.  To explain, in the original Cross Sections, the
"arm" of the Slave 1 contains a very small crawlway going most the way to
the end, with Fett's bunk (and I believe, a small head) located at the place
where it attaches to the rest of the hull.  The rest of the space was access
to the weapon systems.  On the other side of the bunk was the main cockpit,
a rotating platform that took up most of the space in the hull, with a
single seat with a large semicircle wrapparound console, with a small ladder
going down to a pair of seats attached to the bottom of the platform, and
then the main deck.  Underneath the arm was a small location with the cells.
In what I could see of the new Cross Sections, the arm is built so that
someone standing in it while the Slave 1 is landed, is actually standing
horizontal.  Directly behind the main console is a double bunk.  And I
didn't see the cells, although I was looking through closely.  Who knows...

Bounty Hunter Pursuit:
A few useful pieces, but not much.  I don't particularly like the design of
either ship, as the hot rod is too modern and, well, hot-rod-like for my
tastes, and Zam *SPOILER* the shapeshifter's *ENDSPOILER* ship is both a
horrible color, and IMO, a relatively boring and stupid design.  It's a
matter of taste, but I just don't like ships which are primarily one piece,
and have no angles greater than 30%, nor any perpendicular hull parts.  Just
makes it boring, IMO.  Good for pieces, but I don't particularly like the
design (although it isn't Lego's fault).

Gunship:
Gray boxes.  Lots of pieces.  Some interesting troops.  Lots of half-sphere
domes.  WAY to much white.  Good set, and I'd love to get it, but I'm not
entirely sure how useful it's parts will be.  Again, a relatively OK design,
but IMO the raptor-style (translation: twin symmetrical wings either slanted
forward or angled downward, usually combined with a forward-projecting
cockpit/bridge and wingtip weaponry) ship is overused far too much in
sci-fi, and I think there could have been better designs.  I'd love to get
the set, though.  The main hull with the wings, cockpit, and missile
launchers (those aren't engines, they're massive artillery-missile
launchers-the engines are right between them inside the hull in the back)
lifts off the body, which opens along the main axis of the ship to reveal a
small interior space.  In the movie, supposedly, the gunship serves both to
transport squads of clones quickly, and can detach it's main module, land on
one of the new AT-AT ancestors, and ferry it to battle.  Time will tell,
though, if they make the new walker...
In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
Ok fellow space devotees, I need your opinion.

The distribution of the EpII sets lag in Canada as per usual so I have a
couple weeks to plan a purchase.  From intial reports, I figure it would be
grouped as either:

1.  Slave 1 & Bounty Hunter set
2.  Jedi Starfigher, Count Dooku (sp?), and Tusken Encounter
3.  Republic Gunship

At first I was leaning towards choice one for parts alone and a somewhat
appreciation of the Slave 1's design.   However the more I read the initial
reviews of the Gunship, it drawing me toward it like a Sith moth to a dark
flame.

My main objective is parts with a 'space'  usage quotient.  Secondary
consideration would be 'must have' quality.....the small voice of the
collector in me.

Any preliminary opinions?

Cheers & Many thanks,
-G