 Space / 13302
Re: Building My First Movie Lego Ship.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:06:23 GMT

In lugnet.space, Derek Robinson writes:
Hi all I am looking to build a lego ship but I wouldnt know how many lego
peices to get here is the desmetions.

5 foot long  2 foot wide and 2 foot tall.

it will have sections living quarters for its ocipents. and then a big unit
JUSt for the cockpit and an engine.

any ideas riuffly on how much that will cost me ???

any help would be aprhistated , thank you

Derek

Wow, Derek that's a hard thing to figure out.  But I can tell you it will
take  roughtly... a bunch!  It depends on how you want to construct it.  The
old fashioned way (all brick walls)is just one way.
For example my ship the Crusader:
has generally the same dimensions you are looking at building.  This lends
to a boxy overall shape.

Another construction technique is the frame/panel method like John's Bardiel:
That method builds a strong frame and panels of plates (and bricks) to fill
the gaps.  This allows different hull shapes and more flexibility in
building. (Jon has lotsa cool detail.. look around in the folder)

Another technique is a mix of the two styles.  Joel Kuester built the
Benevolent Grace using a frame and brick/window panel method.  In my humble
opinion this is one of the finest lego ships ever created.  (look around in
the gallery for all the detail!)
This illustrates the building technique a bit.

As for the number of bricks I can't say, but undertaking a large starship
will take a lot of time and effort (and bricks).  You need a plan before you
start.  Draw it out.  Stare at the bricks you have and decide what you want
each part to represent. I wish you the best.

Classic Space Forever!

Chris <><