 Space / 13207
Re: I have been enlightened!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 21:14:15 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch writes:

Hmm, realism. I think I'm about to have a rant I've had before...

If, for the sake of argument, we COULD argue about what was 'realistic' in a
model of something that hasn't been invented yet (and may never be, frankly,
although I certainly hope it does)...
What makes you think engreebled is more realistic than streamlined? What,
are we really going to put all the craft's guts on the outside, exposed to
micrometeorites and radiation? I wouldn't call the Space Shuttle orbiter or
Apollo command module engreebled, they're not, and for good reason. What
really happens is that we have postulated some pseudo-sciencey stuff like
deflector shields or something, and then we treat what we make as realistic
according to an imaginary future technology. Inevitably some creations work
along different lines of technology... Classic Space is a, erm, classic
example of that. :-)

Maybe realism wan't the _exactly_ correct word. You're saying why would one
put a spaceship's guts on the inside. But equally why not. If shield
technology is available that will protect the ship from micrometeorites and
the like. I mean, if you needed to fix anything, it would be a lot easier
just to stroll outside (assuming you have an airlock) and fix it instead of
struggling through tight spaces and into the bowels of your ship.

ALSO, a lot of the time, greeblies would be just places on the ship hull
where the repairman hasn't bothered to replace a panel. I mean, seriously,
if you were constantly making adjustments or fine tuning to your ships
engreebled parts, you woldn't really want to be always pulling the access
panels on and off.

And I do believe in streamlined ships, although only those that will be
doing atmospheric travel. The reason the space shuttle and stuff doesn't
have greebles is because it needs as low a wind resistance as possible. In
space it doesn't matter.

But I do agree with you in one aspect - greeblies are best used simply to
make the ship look real cool!

Zac