 Space / 11886
11885  |  11887
Subject:
Blacktron Contest Entry: Expropriator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 00:42:10 GMT

   Hi everyone,

   Here's my happy happy contest entry, in its "raw" form (with no
   page of its own yet):

   The Blacktron Expropriator (category IV or VI):

   best

   LFB

   (goofy little blurb below)

   ----

   INTELLIGENCE AND INFORMATION SERVICES - EDIT BEFORE RELEASE
   Mercantile Liaison, LL-Space
   Despatch ID: 665xQ4438-iiL9
   Subject: "Expropriator" vehicle graphic archive

   The accompanying image archive concerns Federal Impound Number
   XH-448, a ship taken on the rimward trade routes about three
   months ago.  This craft confirms our suspicions regarding the
   recent rise in effectiveness of Blacktron pirate attacks, namely
   that the BT are now dismantling entire ships on-site and have
   devoted significant resources to refining such a process.

   Blacktron, denied a presence in most commercial systems by effective
   Federal policing, have developed an insidious new strategy that
   uses mass-shadow technology to stop ships in hyperflight, well away
   from friendly bases, allowing them to make off with the whole ship. [1]
   "Q-ships" among the regular commercial traffic in the hopes that
   Blacktron will stop them, being unable to tell these warships from
   ordinary merchant ships.  Our Q-ship program has resulted in the first
   captured example of the mass-shadow device, but little else aside
   from the debris of stock Invaders and Renegades until recently.
   In September, one of our Q-ships, in the process of mopping up a
   Blacktron ambush, stumbled upon a larger ship never before seen.
   This craft had apparently suffered hyperdrive failure when it tried
   to escape at the first sign of trouble.  This stroke of pure
   luck brought that craft--XH-448--into our hands.

   This ship has been codenamed "Expropriator" by Federal authorities.
   It is not a warship, but rather a support craft and mothership to
   four small EVA-buglike industrial craft that are equipped to saw,
   tear, and peel ships apart.  Our engineers believe that the debris
   is loaded into waiting Blacktron shuttles, Invaders, and Renegades,
   which cannot themselves make off with whole ships.  The Expropriator
   has a small cargo capacity, but it is obviously not intended to
   operate independently.  The ship is also based on standard BT
   modules; it uses four Renegade-type engines and a modified Invader
   navigation pod.  The EVA-bug section, nicknamed "the tamale" by
   Fed R&D, is a marvel of salvage engineering that we are only now
   beginning to unravel.  Please see the complete "exploded view"
   for reference.

   We welcome any feedback or reports concerning this vessel.  It
   is suggested that you add the loaded and unloaded profiles (profile2
   and profile1) to your recognition database as soon as possible.

   Cordially,

   DIRECTOR OF MILITARY INTELLIGENCE AND OPERATIONS

   [1] Our thanks to the Grand Admiral for the intelligence on this
       weapon, for which many Bothans undoubtedly gave their lives.