 Space / 11887
Re: Blacktron Contest Entry: Expropriator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 00:56:53 GMT

Wow... that looks great!

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Hi everyone,

  Here's my happy happy contest entry, in its "raw" form (with no
  page of its own yet):

  The Blacktron Expropriator (category IV or VI):

  best

  LFB

  (goofy little blurb below)

  ----

  INTELLIGENCE AND INFORMATION SERVICES - EDIT BEFORE RELEASE
  Mercantile Liaison, LL-Space
  Despatch ID: 665xQ4438-iiL9
  Subject: "Expropriator" vehicle graphic archive

  The accompanying image archive concerns Federal Impound Number
  XH-448, a ship taken on the rimward trade routes about three
  months ago.  This craft confirms our suspicions regarding the
  recent rise in effectiveness of Blacktron pirate attacks, namely
  that the BT are now dismantling entire ships on-site and have
  devoted significant resources to refining such a process.

  Blacktron, denied a presence in most commercial systems by effective
  Federal policing, have developed an insidious new strategy that
  uses mass-shadow technology to stop ships in hyperflight, well away
  from friendly bases, allowing them to make off with the whole ship. [1]
  "Q-ships" among the regular commercial traffic in the hopes that
  Blacktron will stop them, being unable to tell these warships from
  ordinary merchant ships.  Our Q-ship program has resulted in the first
  captured example of the mass-shadow device, but little else aside
  from the debris of stock Invaders and Renegades until recently.
  In September, one of our Q-ships, in the process of mopping up a
  Blacktron ambush, stumbled upon a larger ship never before seen.
  This craft had apparently suffered hyperdrive failure when it tried
  to escape at the first sign of trouble.  This stroke of pure
  luck brought that craft--XH-448--into our hands.

  This ship has been codenamed "Expropriator" by Federal authorities.
  It is not a warship, but rather a support craft and mothership to
  four small EVA-buglike industrial craft that are equipped to saw,
  tear, and peel ships apart.  Our engineers believe that the debris
  is loaded into waiting Blacktron shuttles, Invaders, and Renegades,
  which cannot themselves make off with whole ships.  The Expropriator
  has a small cargo capacity, but it is obviously not intended to
  operate independently.  The ship is also based on standard BT
  modules; it uses four Renegade-type engines and a modified Invader
  navigation pod.  The EVA-bug section, nicknamed "the tamale" by
  Fed R&D, is a marvel of salvage engineering that we are only now
  beginning to unravel.  Please see the complete "exploded view"
  for reference.

  We welcome any feedback or reports concerning this vessel.  It
  is suggested that you add the loaded and unloaded profiles (profile2
  and profile1) to your recognition database as soon as possible.

  Cordially,

  DIRECTOR OF MILITARY INTELLIGENCE AND OPERATIONS

  [1] Our thanks to the Grand Admiral for the intelligence on this
      weapon, for which many Bothans undoubtedly gave their lives.